Thread: Mails moved in Zimbra desktop to folders do not appear in Yahoo web mail

Hybrid View

Angry Mails moved in Zimbra desktop to folders do not appear in Yahoo web mail

I had read about this same problem being faced by someone in early 2007 and it was noted as being resolved at that time in one of the forum posts.

However, I am facing it currently and will like to know how to resolve it as it is very critical for me to resolve it (as otherwise Zimbra cannot be used as offline mail client).

I create few new folders at outermost level (I am aware of subfolders not being sync'ed yet) in Zimbra desktop. I then move mails to these folders from Inbox or other folders. Finally, I turn on the sync for these newly created folders and click on send / receive or check mail or sync button whichever one appears. To my horror, I find that the new folders do appear in Yahoo web mail but they do not contain any mail messages. They are empty folders only. I waited for two days in case the sync was slow but that still did not help.

How do I ensure that each and every mail in each and every folder is sync'd back to yahoo web mail corresponding folder ?

Thanks

I assume you are already running 1278?

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    I assume you are already running 1278?
    I am using zdesktop_0_90_build_1278_win32.exe which I presume is 1278. I installed this yesterday itself.

Unhappy Help Please. Zimbra desktop zapped folders on yahoo web mail

Quote Originally Posted by ezu View Post
    I am using zdesktop_0_90_build_1278_win32.exe which I presume is 1278. I installed this yesterday itself.
    I really need urgent help here. Zimbra desktop has appeared to zap few of my folders along with its mail on yahoo web server.

I have downloaded and installed Zimbra desktop and sync'ed it with yahoo web mail. I have set all folders to sync and have clicked send/receive and sync tens of times having clicked on each folder and then clicking Send/Receive and Sync also. Nothing helps.

Here is the exact scenario.

a) I install zimbra desktop and sync all folders. So far so good.
    b) I create few folders locally using zimbra desktop (all folders are at the root level. no sub folders are used).
    c) I move mails from Inbox to local folders created using Zimbra.
    d) I set the newly created folders to sync with Yahoo web server and click send/receive, sync button.

I find that the local folders created using Zimbra desktop do get created on yahoo web server but the mails in these local folders do not get uploaded to yahoo web server. Worse still, the mails from Inbox which I had moved to these local folders have also disappeared now from yahoo web server. They exist only in the local folders. All said and done all the mails I moved from Inbox to locally created folders are missing now from Yahoo web server.

Is there any specific sequence to follow while creating and sync'ing locally created folders?
    Do locally created folders have to be set to sync with yahoo web server before moving mails to them ?
    Do they not sync mails if they are set to sync with yahoo web server after moving mails to them ?

Any help will be useful. If I need to take entire backup of the local Zimbra and reinstall and recreate folders with different names and set to sync before moving mails to them and then move the mails from local folders to the newly created first-synced folders also will be fine.

In short, anything that will allow me to have all my mails back to Yahoo web server is welcome.

I am using yahoo plus premium account if that helps.
    Last edited by ezu; 08-27-2008 at 11:04 AM.

I have the same problem, lots of my old Yahoo emails are now only on my local PC having gone from the web server. I've installed the latest build and it hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Rory

please file a bug and we'll investigate. thanks!

basically we need to take a look the debug trace. please take these steps:

1. follow instructions here to patch build 1278. http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post106436

2. go to yahoo account setup page in desktop, and check the box at the bottom of the page that says "Enable debug trace".

3. do a sync by clicking "Send/Receive" to reproduce what the problem is. The debug trace will go into <install>/log/zdesktop.out

4. file a bug with to describe what you expect to happen after the sync and what actually happens. attach the zdesktop.out trace to the bug.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jjzhuang; 08-28-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Thumbs down Cannot file bug for mails not sync'ing between Zimbra and Yahoo web server

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    basically we need to take a look the debug trace. please take these steps:

1. follow instructions here to patch build 1278. http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post106436

2. go to yahoo account setup page in desktop, and check the box at the bottom of the page that says "Enable debug trace".

3. do a sync by clicking "Send/Receive" to reproduce what the problem is. The debug trace will go into <install>/log/zdesktop.out

4. file a bug with to describe what you expect to happen after the sync and what actually happens. attach the zdesktop.out trace to the bug.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I was busy for last few days so could not post this. However, as posted in my previous mail, I am really badly stuck as all my mails are on local machine for few folders and no matter what I do they "refuse" to get sync'ed with yahoo web server although the folder exists in yahoo.

I cannot even log into bugzilla to send the trace available in zdesktop.out . I also want to know one more thing. On examining the zdesktop.out, it contains information about all my folders etc. I am not comfortable sending this to a public forum / bug list. Is there any way to "mask / remove" personal data from the zdesktop.out without affecting its usefulness to determine the problem.

bugzilla sometimes run into issues, but usually someone will notice it quickly and it gets fixed. so if you have bugzilla problems, try again later.

when you file bugs in bugzilla, you can mark attachments as private. that way only zimbra employees will see them. please also include mailbox.log from the matching time period. thanks!