Thread: some mail filter definition - how to

Question some mail filter definition - how to

hi,
    in thunderbird, while creating a new filter, i have an option like "if [to/cc/subject] begins with"..... but in zimbra, that 'begins with' is not there. i tried going with matching a regular expression like ........^expr........ but those mails are not getting filtered. and also the 'X-spam-detected' feature in thunderbird looks to be missing here in zimbra.
    can someone help me with these two things?

please file an RFE (request feature enhancement) for this.

Saw your Bug 31228 - certain mail filter definitions required
    Quote Originally Posted by balusss View Post
    hi,
    in thunderbird, while creating a new filter, i have an option like "if [to/cc/subject] begins with"..... but in zimbra, that 'begins with' is not there. i tried going with matching a regular expression like ........^expr........ but those mails are not getting filtered.
    How about subject > Matches Wildcard Condition > beginsWithValue* OR *endsWithValue > Action
    Bug 19737 - Filter behavior is unclear for "matches pattern" A good number of users get confused about the "matches pattern" behavior for mail filters. The term "pattern" implies regular expressions, whereas Sieve only supports wildcards (? and *). We should change the terminology and possibly show users a simple example when they use this option.
    http://rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5228.txt
    The ":matches" match type specifies a wildcard match using the characters "*" and "?"; the entire value must be matched. "*" matches zero or more characters in the value and "?" matches a single character in the value, where the comparator that is used (see section 2.7.3) defines what a character is. For example, the comparators "i;octet" and "i;ascii-casemap" define a character to be a single octet, so "?" will always match exactly one octet when one of those comparators is in use. In contrast, a Unicode-based comparator would define a character to be any UTF-8 octet sequence encoding one Unicode character and thus "?" may match more than one octet. "?" and "*" may be escaped as "\\?" and "\\*" in strings to match against themselves. The first backslash escapes the second backslash; together, they escape the "*".
    In essence "*" matches zero or more characters, and "?" matches a single character.
    So that 'begins with' in TB is probably just any matching 'value*' and not 'begins with for the entire subject string' (correct me if they implemented it differently as I'm not going off to test at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by balusss View Post
    and also the 'X-spam-detected' feature in thunderbird looks to be missing here in zimbra.
    can someone help me with these two things?
    Not sure what you're asking:
    -Header Named > X-Spam-Level > Contains > *** (# of stars for points) > Action ?
    -Sortable column / display value on each message? Bug 24925 - Add 'Spam score' field/column displayed on messages
    -Change the mail header name for flagging spam? zmprov mcf zimbraSpamHeader X-Spam-Detected
    -Zimbra Desktop doing spam checking question?

Zimbra Web Client Mail Filters - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-31-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: wiki link

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Saw your Bug 31228 - certain mail filter definitions required
    So that 'begins with' in TB is probably just any matching 'value*' and not 'begins with for the entire subject string' (correct me if they implemented it differently as I'm not going off to test at the moment).
    Zimbra Web Client Mail Filters - Zimbra :: Wiki
    no. the 'begins with' in TB works as it says. It filters out all mails that begin with the expression i give. This type of behaviour is very important as most of the mails i get just start with their classification. so 'begins with' is very important for me. I hope that would be given as an enhancement in future. and regarding the 'matching expression', what i understood is that the expression could not be the regular expression i use in *nix. so am replacing ....^expr.... with ...expr*..... to check whether the 'begins with' is simulated with this or not. will get back. hope i am clear.

thank you morse. the * and ? are enough for defining most of my mail filters. but then, how do i define a somewhat complex filter as this:

if [A] and [B or C]; then action;

presently i wrote two filters as [ A and B]; [A and C]... which is very cumbersome given that i have more than 30 filters for 500 incoming mails everyday.

for giving any complexity in filter definitions like this, we first have to come out of the traditional 'filter rule template' which only defines 'rules -> any/all -> action' .. which is very limited as in my case.

is this possible with zimbra?

let me know if i am confusing you., but i need this functionality.
    Last edited by balusss; 03-07-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo