Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple accounts - Multiple SENT folders

Hybrid View

Default Multiple accounts - Multiple SENT folders

Hi all,

We (a company) need to get confirmed one thing before we go from Exchange (yeah, it sucks) to Zimbra. This is how we need the multiple accounts email system to work (which we do in Outlook with Exchange); All employees has their own personal account and all these accounts has full access to sales@ and support@ which means each employee can see each inbox for their own account as well as sales@ and support@. 3 "sets" of folders for each account visible at all times.

The question is;

Can we set up those accounts so each employee sends a sales@ note (from the sales@ inbox) and then have the sent note stored into the sales@ SENT folder? As I am using it now (web client), that is not happening and a sales@ sent note goes into my private sent folder. This makes it hard to see what another employee has replied when the sent note is in another’s sent folder.

Did I explain myself clear? I hope so. A local provider is checking this now but it takes quite some time and we need to get away from our today's Exchange provider.

What kind of IT level do I need to be at for installing Zimbra on our server if we dont want to do a Hosted version? Our server is hosted but dedicated server so we should be the access to install it. Is it difficult and time consuming?

Thanks and I hope you can help.

Share the sale's sent folder - does a copy go in there when you reply to something in sales's inbox?

Hi mmorse,

we havent got admin controls since we only have a trial period for testing so I cant do any settings other than the web client. The provider say they have given jan@ account full rights to sales@ and support@. You mean share, like the rights of the sales@ sent folder?

When having a new email in the sales@ inbox and when i reply it doesnt put the sent note into the sales@ sent folder as I want it to, it puts it to my jan@ sent folder.

If jan doesn't have permissions on sale's sent folder as well the on-behalf-of feature can't put a copy there.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    If jan doesn't have permissions on sale's sent folder as well the on-behalf-of feature can't put a copy there.
    According the hosted Zimbra provider, jan@ has permission to sales@. You mean that it should work, even in the WEB client?

Pic is too tiny - I can't see if you have sales's sent folder mounted in jan's account - much less any other folder name

At the moment the on-behalf is completely automatic & doesn't need personas to do it.

Example:
    Create 5 accounts (well I know you can't but bear with me)
    1) Shared
    2) User1 -manager of shared's inbox & sent
    3) User2 -viewer of shared's inbox & sent
    4) Test1
    5) Test2

Send message from user1 to test1 (or user2 to test2) and both user1 & user2 can see the sent mail - best if you're using conversation view so it's shown when not in the shared sent folder and working in shared inbox.

Zimbra will show this as 'sending on behalf'
    The headers look like:
    From: shared@domain.com (so to test1 or test2's perspective it's shared sending the email)
    Sender: user1@domain.com (so yes test1 or test2 can technically view the mail headers and see which person sent it if not using ZWC - some mail clients may display this)
    To: test1@domain.com

You'll want to keep an eye on how this will change slightly in Bug 22819 - reply to another user's message is always on-behalf-of (The ability to grant others 'on-behalf' sending permissions, and associated option to always send 'on-belalf' or not when replying in shared folders, and/or drop-down choice when sending.)
    Bug 19146 - send on behalf of for delegate access for ZWC
    Bug 27259 - Option for "On behalf of sent mail" to go to "on behalf of" user's sent items

Might also watch Bug 25875 - allow user migration or remapping of reserved folders on ZWC Not the main intent, but we used to have zimbraPrefSentMailFolder (which chooses where the sent mail is stored) per options > identity (or what we call preferences > accounts > persona today) in 5.0.x it had been removed on identities when re-vamped Bug 17320 - Next rev of (mail) identities preferences management (server side) so thus you can't have multiple anymore (ie create a persona in jan@ for sales@ & store sent mail in sale's sent) you can only have one per user.

Before I forget: Welcome to the forums!

Just to orient you a bit:

Bugs & RFE's (requests for enhancements) can be filed/voted for in Bugzilla & tracked (see priorities & what release their going into) via PMweb.

The blog lots of good articles - a good one to checkout is: Open Source Product Management: How do features get into Zimbra? » Zimbra :: Blog

Last but definitely not least - the Wiki has all sorts of collective knowledge in it.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-16-2008 at 03:30 PM.

screen-shot.jpg

Here is how we have set up the trial accounts, the way we would like them to be.

EDIT: You can see all 3 accounts on the left are fully separated.

Hmmm, maybe they havent given permission to the sent folder... that would be strange if they didnt.

Thanks for your effort in this Mike. How about this one? SENT folder for all 3 accoutns. capture1.jpg

Ok those aren't shares - they simply went to preferences > accounts > add external account > IMAP > & filled in local information. So in effect it's local external account aggregation. If that's the route you go, without a per-persona zimbraPrefSentMailFolder (mentioned in the bug above) you can't store in those sales@ or support@ sent folders.

Sharing:
    Can you login to sales@? Open sales account > right click (inbox & sent) > share folder > jan@

(you can mount the whole / root later but just do those for now)
    Share icons will look like this:

Why use shares?
    A)Shares will eventually update instantaneously: Bug 6082 - enable notification for delegate stores/shared folders

B) Account aggregation is a datasource and thus needs a polling interval set (unless you want to always hit "get external mail") http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...html#post97880 Those polling intervals are usually also set at least greater than 5 min because a lot of them can increase server load. We decided to forgo the end-user preferences on that frequency Bug 22114 - Expose external account polling interval in UI because of the server performance effects (even with an admin min); however we do plan on exposing it in the admin console: Bug 21199 - add ability to set autopolling in admin console so you don't have to user other SOAP/Java/CLI methods (outlined in above thread) to set.

C) You can control who has delete permissions:

None - None
    Viewer - View(r)
    Manager - View(r), Edit(w), Add(i), Remove(d), Accept(x), Decline(x)
    Admin - View(r), Edit(w), Add(i), Remove(d), Accept(x), Decline(x), Administer(a)

(r)ead - search, view overviews and items
    (w)rite - edit drafts/contacts/notes, set flags
    (i)nsert - copy/add to directory, create subfolders
    action (x) - workflow actions, like accepting appointments
    (d)elete - delete items and subfolders, set \Deleted flag
    (a)dminister - delegate admin and change permissions on shares

For instance you could make yourself a custom 'author' or 'editor' role if using SOAP/CLI/Java to add permissions - something like:
    Editor - View(r), Edit(w), Accept(x), Decline(x)
    Author - View(r), Edit(w), Add(i), Accept(x), Decline(x)

zmmailbox -z -m theshare@domain.com modifyFolderGrant /Folder account user@domain.com rwx

The createMountpoint command is commonly used after this:
    zmmailbox z -m user@domain.com createMountpoint --view appointment "/Vacation Calendar" vacationcal@domain.com /VacationDates

You can do any of the following [account <name> |group <name> |domain <name> |all |public| guest <email> <password>] followed by the permissions like r, rw, rwix, rwixd, rwixda, none, etc.

Bug 15205 - share roles - custom (editor / author) levels
    Bug 12654 - Request Editor share level between Viewer and Manager

D) Well there's no zimbraPrefSentMailFolder per external account/persona at the moment.

E) I'm really not sure how single instance storage (what keeps disk space down) works when the blob is on the same server & you do 'external aggregation' - I'd have to look into that more.

F) The separated structure and the contacts / emailed contacts folders gave it away. (If you want to share things like contacts with those as well they won't appear in address book tab) Sharing lets you provide others with access to anything in the UI - addressbook, calendars, tasks, docs, briefcase, etc.)

Till Bug 24804 - Share entire mailbox in one click. is done to share the / root your provider can run something like: zmmailbox -z - m sales@domain.com modifyFolderGrant domain domain.com (then createMountpoint after that)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-16-2008 at 11:48 AM.