Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Default Email Program

Question Windows Default Email Program

How do I make Zimbra Desktop my default windows email program?

Go to Options' Global tab and check the box that says "Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application".

Awsome... I feel stupid now... I guess I just missed that there. Thanks a bunch!

It does not work though... I checked the box and even restarted Zimbra Desktop. Went to a website and clicked on an email link and nothing happened. Then went into firefox setting and set it up as the default mail program there and still nothing happens?? Any Ideas?

OK this is weird.. What it is actually doing now is opening the web page of our zimbra and doing mailto functions that way... How do I make the desktop handle the mailto's??

What firefox settings?

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    What firefox settings?
    tools -> options -> The tab marked "applications", search for "mail". Here you get a drop down where you can choose mail application. Unfortunately you can't choose "use windows default" but have to specify it yourself. I would really like to know what to specify here.

As for the auto play setting, it doesn't work on my machine, but I'm running w2008 server (more or less the same as vista SP1 though)

My experience the zimbra desktop is limited so far, but I recently read an article over at uneasysilence that gives information on how to set gmail or yahoo mail to be the mail provider using firefox three.

I've not tried it yet, but it looks interesting. It may be possible to tweak this method to make it point at Zimbra instead of gmail?
    I'll copy the post here for reference and link to the original:

If you use Yahoo! Mail or Gmail as you email provider you can have FireFox open them automatically when you click on MAILTO links. Choose Options under Firefox’s Tools menu, select the Applications tab, and scroll down to the mailto: entry. Select Use Yahoo! Mail and click OK. But, the option to use GMail is not included in everybodys version of FireFox. To enable GMail in FireFoxs address bar type in about:config and hit Enter. In the Filter field, type gecko.handlerServiceAllowRegisterFromDifferentHost . Double-click the gecko.handlerServiceAllowRegisterFromDifferentHost entry to change it to True.

Now, cut-and-paste this line into the address bar and hit Enter: javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandle r(”mailto”, “h ttps://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=%s”,”Gmail”)

Once that is done jsy repeat the process above for choosing Yahoo! Mail, but select use the newly created Use Gmail option.
    Original article

Thanks, but that doesn't help Firefox to use Zimbra.

Default Any updates?

Hello, I am trying to set zimbra as the email client in ie, but it does not show up on the drop down list. It is set as my default email under the global option in zimbra. If I click an email link in ie, it tries to open outlook.