Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop-up Notifications

Default Pop-up Notifications

I've been playing around with Zimbra Desktop the last couple of weeks, and just upgraded to the latest version (build 1338). I can't seem to get pop-up notifications for new mail and calendar events to work under Windows XP. Either that or I don't understand how they should be working. I've got "Show a popup notification" checked on both the Mail and Calendar tabs under preferences. I have Zimbra Desktop minimized to the system tray with a couple of other programs running (IE and a Telnet app). While working in these other programs I would expect to see something come up on the screen when new mail comes in or when a calendar event is triggered, but I get nothing. The only thing I see is the red "Z" icon in the system tray turns to an envelope when a new unread message comes in. What am I missing here?

Same issue here. I have Zimbra Desktop minimized to my system tray, have "popup notifications" enabled for both mail and appointments, but only see the Zimbra red systray icon turn into an envelope.

Note - I have the Zimbra Web Client on Firefox open as well (I do all my work in the web client, but have installed Zimbra Desktop for the sole purpose of providing me with popup notifications). Any clues?

P.S. It would be great if Toaster handled appointment notifications as well - this way I don't have to install the giant Zimbra Desktop software just to get notifications.

could you please file a bug? thanks!

Bug 32226 created.

I have also noticed that once the Zimbra tray icon turns into the "envelope", indicating an unread message it never turns back to the red Zimbra icon even after the messages have been read. Another bug?

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Bug 32226 created.

I have also noticed that once the Zimbra tray icon turns into the "envelope", indicating an unread message it never turns back to the red Zimbra icon even after the messages have been read. Another bug?
    I'm getting the same problem on Windows XP. I have to mark the message as unread, then read again to get it to go away.

I don't notice this on Mac OSX.

I've been doing some testing under Linux and I'm having problems here as well. I'm not getting any pop-ups for new mail notification. I am getting calendar event notifications, but the problem here is they only show up when I have the Zimbra Desktop as my active window. I know this is how it works with the ZWC, but I always thought this was a limitation of it being a browser-based application. I was hoping the Desktop, being a more standalone application, would work differently. IMHO, if this is the intended behavior then it defeats the purpose of pop-up notifications. Ideally if I'm working in another application the pop-up should come right up on the screen to remind me of an appointment.

Same problem here on three Zimbra Desktop 0.91 updates I just did. Worked perfectly in 0.90. Machines are Windows XP SP3.

Quote Originally Posted by jerelabs View Post
    I'm getting the same problem on Windows XP. I have to mark the message as unread, then read again to get it to go away.

I don't notice this on Mac OSX.

FYI.Reported this as Bug 32340

tendernews Guest

Exclamation Re:

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    I've been playing around with Zimbra Desktop the last couple of weeks, and just upgraded to the latest version (build 1338). I can't seem to get pop-up notifications for new mail and calendar events to work under Windows XP. Either that or I don't understand how they should be working. I've got "Show a popup notification" checked on both the Mail and Calendar tabs under preferences. I have Zimbra Desktop minimized to the system tray with a couple of other programs running (IE and a Telnet app). While working in these other programs I would expect to see something come up on the screen when new mail comes in or when a calendar event is triggered, but I get nothing. The only thing I see is the red "Z" icon in the system tray turns to an envelope when a new unread message comes in. What am I missing here?

:- i am experiencing same problem