Thread: Gmail syncs folders only when clicking "Check Mail" button

Question Gmail syncs folders only when clicking "Check Mail" button

Hello,

Congratulations on the good work until here! I was desperatly looking for a Outlook replacement for a client who can't take the thunderbird complexities and I found Zimbra - very user friendly and open.

I have a simple question, which I did not see here in the forum in the quick search I made.

I have a google apps for domain added as a gmail account in zimbra - programmed to sync all folders and to do that at each minute. E-mail works well, but when I make a change on the servere side (through webmail interface or other IMAP client), such as moving an e-mail from one folder to another, deleting mail etc, such changes are not reflected in the zimbra client with the minute-to-minute sync.

However, when I manually click the "Check Mail" button, magically all changes are instantaneously applied and zimbra then reflects exactly what I got in the webmail.

Is there anything I am setting up in the wrong way? Also tried adding the account not as a gmail account, but an IMAP account, but the same issue persists...

This is the only gripe I have now about the implementation and replacement of thunderbird.

My client also misses vertical pane previewing of e-mails, but that's not at all a deal breaker.

Thanks a lot for your good work guys.

Regards,

Marcelo

This is actually a limitation for all IMAP account types. For most IMAP servers it is very expensive to check for folder changes other than new messages. There are some proposed IMAP extensions to address this but most servers do not support them at this time including GMail.

Also, even checking all folders for new messages is rather expensive especially for users with lots of folders so we currently only check INBOX and SENT folders for new messages during normal background sync.

- David

David,

Thanks for your kind answer. Now I see that.

The issue is that this sub-folder sync is very important since such folders bear new e-mails due to server-side filtering (both on gmail and other IMAP servers).

It would be nice at least if an option to check some specific folders in the automatic sync (in my case I would only need to add three sub-folders for example).

A nice addition also would be to enable full IDLE protocol support (which is indeed supported by Google's IMAP implementation, although not perfect yet)

Is there already any suggestion on that area being analyzed by your team?

Thanks again!

Unfortunately IDLE won't really help in this case since it can only be used to listen for new message notifications for the currently selected mailbox. We'd have to open more than one connection to the server in order to get around this limitation.

But your suggestion of being able to enable/disable automatic sync on specific folders is definitely worth considering. Could you perhaps file a bugzilla request and we'll discuss this as a possible feature request?

Thanks,
    David

I'll definetly file the request, already have a login (looked there before posting here )

Thanks!

Regards,

Marcelo