Thread: Unified contact list - how do I view my contacts?

Default Unified contact list - how do I view my contacts?

I don't get this - Zimbra Desktop seems to have a separate address book for each email account that I'm reading via Zimbra desktop.

I've never seent his in a desktop client, from Eudora, to Outlook Express, to Thunderbird, the assumption is always that the address book is on a per-user basis.

With Zimbra, let's say I have three accounts
    me@work.com
    me@home.com
    me@yahoo.com

If I'm replying to an email on work.com, I don't have access to any addresses from my home.com account. Am I missing something, or is it really this way by design?

this is a limitation for now. the reason is that right now all services are completely independent of each other. a user may have a zimbra account, a yahoo account and a gmail account. we will sync addressbook from all 3 services independently. we can't really mix them into a single addressbook since that will create unintended crossover, like your work contacts be synced back into your personal yahoo account.

that said, we do have the intention to allow user to select contacts from any addressbook to compose, and that feature will not be in 1.0.

Default Too bad

>>that feature will not be in 1.0.

That's sad to hear. That effectively gets rid of one of the three reasons that I have for switching to Zimbra from my current pastiche of apps (and I just can't bring myself to use Outlook).

BTW, my reasons are these:

- doesn't crash (Thunderbird has become unusable on Vista for me).

- address synch. Unlike most users, or the designers anyway, my goal is "intended crossover" or at least user-selectable crossover. Actually, if I could simply choose to mirror some address books from one account to another, that would be enough. My work email is a proprietary system that nothing synchs with and probably nothing ever will.

- calendar functions. Integration with Yahoo! calendar would be great, but lack of it is not a deal breaker.

I pretty much need all three of those for me to make the switch.

please file an RFE (request for enhancement).