Thread: Typical Noob questions ? . . . . .

Default Typical Noob questions ? . . . . .

Hi all,

I've walked into a support role, where the mail system is a combination of Eudora Internet Mail Server for the back-end, and Quick Mail 3.5 for the client.

Now, while EIMS is doing an adequate job, I'd like a solution that offers a little more in terms of a holistic approach, and the combination of EIMS and QM just isn't giving it to me ;-), especially since QM is no longer supported.
    Although I've been considering MS Exchange, Zimbra is also being considered due to the similarity between its Mac and PC clients.

Can anyone offer guidance / answers to the following queries . . . . .

1. What's the level of difficulty, or is it even possible, to transfer Quickmail client data to the Zimbra client?

2. The free Zimbra client is, understandably, somewhat Yahoo-centric.
    But does the paid-for Zimbra back-end, come with a client that doesn't have the yahoo-search displayed so prominently?

3. Is it just me, or does the Zimbra client seem to be missing a whole heap of menus? I mean, I can see "Yahoo Zimbra Desktop" menu, and that's it.

Thanks in advance.

It is kind of generic, I dont know all your answers but it doesnt seems pretty basic and missing some things.

what kind of menu items are you looking for? what is missing?

I suppose I, and the users I support, am used to seeing File, Edit, View and Help menus at the very least, as standard menus on all Apple applications, and then whatever menus that would be application-specific to Zimbra.
    It may be that the structure of the application is just so different to the norm, that the menus I am used to seeing are not required . . . except for the Apple standards.
    However, if I am to "sell this product to my customers" i.e. "foist it upon the users", it's easier to give them a product with an interface that is similar in "look and feel" to the products they are currently using.

Also, when I go to to the "help" button, instead of offering a standard interactive help system, the assumption is made that I have an internet connection, and I am directed to a URL.

And if that's not annoying enough, the URL is broken. <http://www.zimbra.com/desktop/help/en_AU/Zimbra_User_Help.htm>.

Two other points:
    1. Although "Help" is missing as a menu item, it "is" available as a button.
    However when clicked, instead of being directed to a help session within the application, an assumption is made that an internet connection is present, and you are directed to a URL . . . . . <http://www.zimbra.com/desktop/help/en_AU/Zimbra_User_Help.htm>.
    . . . . which is broken.
    If I were to promote this as an in-house product, the users would not be expecting to have to go on-line for basic assistance.

2. There is no "Windows" menu.
    How is it possible to flick between multiple open windows?

Are you using the latest version of the desktop client? The help link there works. As for going online for help items, I think that's getting to be more common. I know the Microsoft Office products are leaning that way. There's still some "direct access" stuff, but most help there is online. And if you think about it, it's better in some ways. Online help can be continually updated where your local version cannot be. I was just browsing the online help for Zimbra desktop, and it's not too bad.

Are you in a PC or Mac environment? Each open window will have a tab on taskbar in Windows. And on the Mac there's an F-key (I forget which one) that shows all open windows.

As for all the Yahoo tags, yes, I agree that the Yahoo branding tags could be toned down a bit.

Regarding the menus you seek, I understand what you're asking for. But I'm not sure they're really needed. Most functions that are carried in the standard text menus are covered by the various tabs and buttons.