Thread: Account/Persona sync with Desktop

Default Account/Persona sync with Desktop

Hey people,

just started testing a hosted zimbra solution today and tried Zimbra Desktop as well.

I am running into a few small problems though, that I could not find an answer to in these forums.

• In the webinterface, I added a whole bunch of POP accounts. After adding the zimbra server to Zimbra Desktop, I was expecting these accounts to be present in Desktop as well; this is not the case. Nor are the persona's.
    • Signatures are present, however, they are all empty
    • How can I set the sync interval for the desktop client? And is there a way to set the pop retrieval interval in the web-interface as well? I don't want to have to click on "Get External Mail" all the time for each account.

I have an administrator account to modify my own account settings.

I look forward to your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Netson View Post
    • In the webinterface, I added a whole bunch of POP accounts. After adding the zimbra server to Zimbra Desktop, I was expecting these accounts to be present in Desktop as well; this is not the case. Nor are the persona's.
    • Signatures are present, however, they are all empty
    • How can I set the sync interval for the desktop client? And is there a way to set the pop retrieval interval in the web-interface as well? I don't want to have to click on "Get External Mail" all the time for each account.
    * We don't sync external accounts. Zimbra Desktop supports adding multiple accounts directly.
    * HTML signature sync was broken. It's fixed now and will work when we release the next cut.

Maybe it was a bad choice of words, I don't mean actually syncing with the external accounts.

What I mean is that Zimbra Webmail can serve as a one-stop shop for all your email accounts and addressbooks/calendars, etc.

This is great, and this is what I like about Zimbra.

However, I do not always want to use the webmail client. I want to be able to have offline access to all the stuff I have in my Zimbra account: enter Zimbra Desktop.

I would assume that the Zimbra Desktop client would be a client that lets you have access to everything you have online, but then offline as well. Meaning that if I have setup a few external accounts to be retrieved by the Zimbra Server, I would assume that I can access those from my Zimbra Desktop client as well. Basically, in my humble opinion, it should be a local version of everything you have online.

Right now, when I setup the server to retrieve my POP accounts, I also have to setup each edition of Zimbra Desktop that I run in order to access my POP accounts. This way (unless I leave messages on the server), I either get my POP email from the Zimbra Server, or from the external account directly, which means the email is not stored in one central place anymore. If I add more Zimbra Desktop clients (for example on my second laptop), things only become worse.

In addition to that, I currently also have to setup my persona's and identities in order to be able to use those from the web-interface. Since I use multiple devices to check my email, this is really inconvenient when I have to make changes to one or more accounts/settings. In the current setup, I would have to make those changes on all devices.

In my ideal situation, all I would have to do after installing Zimbra Desktop, would be to enter the Zimbra server address and my user name and password. After that, ALL settings are synced with the online version.

This also means that any changes I make to account settings, or whatever, are also saved on the Zimbra Server, so that they can be automatically synced with all other clients.

[offtopic]
    On a sidenote, is it also possible to load a Hotmail account in the Zimbra Webmail client? I still have a really old one, which supports loading it from Outlook
    [/offtopic]

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you want to have access to all the mail in the various accounts in one place then use Zimbra to aggregate them into your Inbox and use Desktop to view them offline and use IMAP not POP3. Unless I'm missing something totally obvious, why wouldn't that do what you want?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Neston, the feature you are looking for is currently disabled. We deliberately disabled that feature to avoid confusion since otherwise there will be two ways to aggregate multiple accounts. We may add the feature back in a future release but that's not in the plan yet. Thanks!

I understand why the feature is disabled. Although when the external account is missing there is a disadvantage. None of the addresses from the external accounts can be used to send mails from in Zimbra Desktop.

I want to collect all my mail in a single mailbox (all pop accounts). When i send a mail i like to present myself as one of the external accounts.

I configured everything in the web interface and all is working well. Except for this one missing feature when i use the desktop client. At the moment i use the web interface if i need to send a mail from one of the external accounts.

Is there a workaround ?