Thread: Mail notification issue with sound option selected

Default Mail notification issue with sound option selected

If I've selected "Play a sound (requires QuickTime or Windows Media plugin)" as a notification option, Zimbra pops up as the active top window when a new message arrives. Very irritating as it punts me out of whatever I'm doing at the time and the Zimbra Desktop window open up. If I disable the sound notification by unchecking the box (options>mail>receiving messages), everything works just fine and the Zimbra notification icon on the toolbar changes from red logo to an envelope without any interruption. I'll also mention that selecting the other 3 options individually (so only one is checked at a time) do not cause the Zimbra browser to pop. I have to admit though that I don't know exactly what the options "Highlight the Mail tab" and "Flash the browser title" do since I don't notice anything (maybe I have to have the Zimbra window open?). However, if I check multiple options, for instance, "Play a sound" and "Show a popup notification", I hear the sound, there is a popup, AND the Zimbra browser window pops open as the top window. Any suggestions as to how I can prevent this from happening with sound notification on?? Thanks!

I have users who have complained about this too. The last one was editing a new message in a separate window and was holding down the backspace key to delete text when the new message came in, so when it switched him to the main window it started deleting messages. I can see his frustration.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should search bugzilla to see if there's a report already filed, if there isn't please file a bug report.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Has this been submitted as a bug? I searched BugZilla with no luck (which may only indicate that I am bug-hunt challenged).

We too are being challenged by this "feature" of mail notification. It's more than a minor annoyance though, because our users are deleting messages and "blaming" Zimbra for it. It's yet another black-eye on the face of Zimbra, unfortunately one of many when you consider all the Calendar challenges we're faced with.

I have not been able to discover if the "play a sound" option can be disabled at an Administrative level, like COS or Domain or Global Option. If it can be, we could at least keep our users from accidentally deleting messages they may not even know they got (the back-space key happens so quickly sometimes).

Anyone know if it can be done with one of the CLIs??

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kdsoukup View Post
    Anyone know if it can be done with one of the CLIs??
    This thread is in the Zimbra Desktop and the cli isn't available for that. Whether you have ZD or ZCS please file a bug report for whichever product you're using.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Right. Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out. I arrived at one of the posts after a Google search and hadn't noticed the thread.

The symptoms in the second post from kenh248 are exactly the same as what we're seeing, and I thought Bingo ... I'm not the only one. It sure sounds like his involves ZCS as well, so I still may not be the only one.

The good news is it highly reproducible across various machines at our facility. I've opened a case with Zimbra support. Hopefully something will come of it.

Cheers.

Question Desktop opens when mail arrives, even if minimized

Quote Originally Posted by austinscott View Post
    If I've selected "Play a sound (requires QuickTime or Windows Media plugin)" as a notification option, Zimbra pops up as the active top window when a new message arrives. Very irritating as it punts me out of whatever I'm doing at the time and the Zimbra Desktop window open up. If I disable the sound notification by unchecking the box (options>mail>receiving messages), everything works just fine and the Zimbra notification icon on the toolbar changes from red logo to an envelope without any interruption. I'll also mention that selecting the other 3 options individually (so only one is checked at a time) do not cause the Zimbra browser to pop. I have to admit though that I don't know exactly what the options "Highlight the Mail tab" and "Flash the browser title" do since I don't notice anything (maybe I have to have the Zimbra window open?). However, if I check multiple options, for instance, "Play a sound" and "Show a popup notification", I hear the sound, there is a popup, AND the Zimbra browser window pops open as the top window. Any suggestions as to how I can prevent this from happening with sound notification on?? Thanks!
    any luck with this??

I will be in another program and if I get new mail desktop pops open.. very annoying! I have played with the notifications too, but to no avail....

Quote Originally Posted by Armor View Post
    any luck with this??
    It worked for me but...has anyone posted a bug for this since this problem was raised?
    Last edited by ilmasce; 05-10-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Exclamation

I have a bug filed on this problem since version 1 of desktop. It was initially closed because someone from Zimbra said they couldn't reproduce the problem in 2.0. I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this. The bug is open again here:

Bug 41438 – New Mail Causes Window to the Foreground
    Last edited by ski4404; 06-25-2010 at 07:32 AM.