Thread: sending

Default sending

Am I missing something? When I click send on a composed email, it doesn't send right away. Fine, if it goes to the outbox it should either during the next auto send receive or if I send manually. However, I now have 5 emails sitting in the outbox and they won't send no matter what I do. Is there documentation on why this happens? And yes, I am connected to the Internet now and was at the time I clicked send on each of these messages.
    Last edited by drdrem; 12-13-2008 at 09:20 PM.

usually that implies an error has occurred. could you please send <install>/log/zdesktop.log.

also what kind of account is this?

Default sending ... more info

Status of this account--a Yahoo Mail account (yahoo.com) is ONLINE and green. I just now got the email showing there was a response to my first post on this, so I know ZD is receiving emails fine. I will work on posting the relevant log info here in a moment.

can you also tell me what kind of messages are stuck? do these messages have any attachments?

To help us debug the issue, first collect some debug information. In the mailbox search box on the top left (not the web search box on the right), type in "$set:debugtrace on" (without the quotes) and hit enter/return. You'll see a green popup saying debug trace is turned on. Then click the Send/Receive button to manually force a sync and wait for the spinning indicator to turn into the red error indicator. Then open the log file <install>/log/zdesktop.log and find the trace section of lines between
    ============================== SYNC DEBUG TRACE START ==============================
    and
    ============================== SYNC DEBUG TRACE END ================================
    If you have multiple of such sections, find the last trace section. If the trace contains information you do not wish to make public, mark the bug as private so that only Yahoo! employees can view.

Default sending ... more information II

I did as suggested. No errors. Still I had 5 emails waiting in the outbox and they would not send. They are not saved in the drafts folder but do show in outbox as editable and as if they were drafts. I have tried stopping and restarting the ZD service; no effect. I have no log file for 12/13 (this problem started at the end of the evening) or for 12/14 as it's slightly after midnight now. Again ... no errors are being reported, but the emails won't send. I am at a loss .... btw, the log file without a date on it is 152 mb in size, so I can't really send a portion of that; and I have no file for the two dates mentioned above. BTW, three of these 5 stuck emails are simply replies to previous emails, to individuals not groups; no attachments; the others are originals. Again, no attachments.

On a whim, I dragged all of these emails to the drafts and logged on to Yahoo via the YM web interface. I then brought up one of those emails from the YM drafts folder (they had synced perfectly) and tried to send it. I was given a verification screen (type in a few letters and numbers) to pass through before the email would send. It took 3 or 4 tries, but the email finally sent. Then, so did the others. So ... I wonder if perhaps Y! was blocking me from sending emails from Zimbra because it was expecting me to have to verify my sending of those emails, to be sure I wasn't spam. Now, I am not one to send lots of email, so I am not sure why I am being hit with this verification screen, but I'm guessing (since it is a suspicious coincidence) that it has something to do with my initial problem.

In short, we need a way, I guess to authenticate ourselves via Zimbra if YMail is going to require verification now and then when I send emails. I must say that this is going to be a frustrating battle to use ZD if emails don't send as they should
    Last edited by drdrem; 12-13-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Where did you post the debug trace I asked for in comment #4? Without the trace we still don't know what caused the problem. Thanks!

Default sending ... update

I have been unable to create a log/trace for this issue at this time. The log file for this day after doing what was asked to turn on the trace, was over 150 mg in size. Serious issue in itself! The problem has occurred at least once more; if it happens again, I will do as was suggested above and post here.

150m in size? Maybe you turned the trace on, which generates lots of lines.

How many accounts do you have and how often do you synchronize with server?