Thread: [SOLVED] Desktop Backup

Default [SOLVED] Desktop Backup

I am a recent new user, having become so after recovering from a major crash. Having learned the hard way about importance of backups, I have been trying to figure out how to do in zimbra desktop. I've check forum, but what I've seen seems to apply to other versions, such as network, opensource, etc.

I want to be able to save email, contacts, calendar data. Is there a simple way to perform backups to an external location, be it a disk, flash/hard drive, or "cloud location?" Thanks.

This was marked "solved". Did you find the solution? If so, could you post it here for others to see?

Thanks!

Preferences > import/export tab > tgz of everything (if older version it's under account setup).
    More on the tar formatter here: ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

I assume jbrabander knows where to find it/was just explaining proper 'marking solved' courtesy; fyi you can also stop the background service & backup the entire <install location>/zdesktop folder containing the store/derby/index/redolog/etc (in that case might keep a copy of the installer version currently in use stored with your backup.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-22-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Default Zimbra Desktop Backuup

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrabander View Post
    This was marked "solved". Did you find the solution? If so, could you post it here for others to see?

Thanks!
    Gladly. Found answer 5 minutes after posting, which tells a lot about me about crying "wolf" too soon. Found in Zimbra Help under "Managing your account." Hit preferences, then export/import. I chose "all files. Hit export again. Choose folder to put file in.

I sent up a Zimbra folder in a flash drive. File name for me was all-2008-12-19-140813.tgz. Hope it works for you.

Default How to import contact from outlook2003

when I use csv file export from outlook2003, but import data are empty.

Exclamation The Original Point Remains Valid Re: ZD Support

The Zimbra site references four products:
    1. Desktop
    2. Open Source
    3. Network
    4. Appliance

Support dialogues and other community and help objects -- even when replying specifically to Zimbra Desktop inquiries -- refer only to Open Source and Network products. Therefore, those of us using ZD are left without direct answers. If we are to assume that either Network or Open Source instructions apply to ZD, then it would be helpful if that were clarified in the ZD documentation.

I am not averse to digging and am as easily bothered as anyone by individuals not conducting research before asking questions -- believe me, being a TA at a supposedly "elite" university reinforced that. But, after 15 years of editorial and Spanish-English translation experience and 2 years in the field as a tech, I know when clarity and cross-referencing are lacking. And that is the situation for anyone looking for assistance with Zimbra Desktop. I love the product, but when it comes to fixing things, I am frustrated by the lack of specificity and clarity -- complete sentences would be a great start -- from the official support team.

Thank you,
    KHOUSE96