Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is ZD really a windows app?

Default Task-switch Shortcut won't offer Zimbra Desktop

Dear jjzhuang,

I read this thread with great attention, because this topic really interests me for quite a while now. I think it's a great idea to minimize the desktop zimbra to the tray in order to receive the nice notification balloons whenever a new mail arrives. This even works far more fine, than outlook.

But one thing bugs me. With windows you may switch through the open applications with this nice "task-switch" short-cut: ALT + Tab. However the moment Zimbra is in the tray, it doesn't appear in my taskswitch window anymore. Is this a problem I have, or is it a general thing?

I think this worked better with Outlook. Is there any way one can bring back the zimbra desktop into the taskswitch?

Thanks for replying, Silke.

Default Zimbra minimizing to tray - issue with standards

I concur with most of the user comments above. Zimbra's behavior with respect to minimizing seems confusing (and non-standard) in the extreme. Now I also find that the icon in the notification area has disappeared and I am unable to retrieve it. (Conflict with another mail-service?) The Zimbra service is apparently still running, but I can only get it back by "restarting" (double-clicking on the desktop icon). My workaround has been to locate the URI string (http://...0.0.1:7633/desktop/login.jsp?at=a05378...) in webapp.ini and use it to set-up a freestanding Google chrome "app". This also has the advantage of making Zimbra behave in the usual way (minimize to taskbar), and I can alt-tab to it as I do for every other application. I don't mind particularly about losing notifications, since I am checking email as frequently as I care to anyway. And if I need "minimize to tray", there exist many little apps to do this very easily. Long and short, I think Zimbra developers need to address these annoyances. I still have great hopes for the application that finally extricates us from Outlook's clutches. Thanks for your hard work, JL

Dirk - that is incorrect.

When you CLOSE msmsgs you close the viewer and the service remains running in the task tray.

When you MINIMIZE zdesktop, it does this.