Thread: Synchronization issues with IMAP: questions

Default Synchronization issues with IMAP: questions

I have just started using Zimbra Desktop on two computers. Both access the same IMAP account. I would like to understand the synchronization process better, especially given the following observations.

For starters, the account is quite large: about 1,7GB of data appear as the size of all folders in the Zimbra installation that I did first. Maybe this is causing some of what I think are oddities.

This morning, I read about 30 messages on PC 1. I had them sorted into conversations, deleted some, moved others to different folders, and so forth. Repeated send-receive-actions were undertaken. What puzzles me: now I'm on PC 2, and all messages appear again - even the deleted ones and the ones I moved to other folders -, and they are marked unread. Note that when I fire up Thunderbird on the same machine, it shows what I would expect: what I deleted is deleted, and moved messages are where they should be. How can it be that the Zimbra installation on PC 2 shows me a non-existent situation? (Or: where in the virtual world does that situation exist?)

This leads me to a general question: are deletions etc. synchronized with send/receive actions, or is their synchronization done separately? If so, is there a way to actively initiate synchronization?

The second main puzzling issue is the number of messages shown. I installed Zimbra on PC 1 Sunday evening, and kept it open for synchronization pretty much every day the entire day. But there are still messages missing from some folders that do exist on the server - the most drastic example is one folder with several hundred messages, and Zimbra shows only two from yesterday.

Finally, Zimbra does not properly recognize the Sent, Drafts and Trash folder on the IMAP account and instead uses its own folders with the same name that exist locally. Especially as far as Sent is concerned, this is really a pain. I remember having read somewhere that this is a bug, but I'd appreciate a workaround if there is one.

I'd appreciate any information that might help me understand all of this better.

This is zdesktop 0.92, build 1433, linux i686, running on an Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex install, by the way.

First please read this section in the FAQ:
    Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

Especially this sentence:
    It's also worth noting that for non-Zimbra accounts YZD only downloads new messages in Inbox from remote server in regularly scheduled sync cycles. In order to synchronize all data, you must click on the "Send/Receive" button.

Now regarding how to map Sent/Drafts/Trash folders, for generic IMAP services we don't currently have a way for user to interactively map these folders.

Thanks. From the FAQ you refer to, I understand that pressing the send/receive button should do a full sync, including deletions and moved messages.

So, if I find that this doesn't work as expected, that would mean a bug, no?

As for messages on the server not being downloaded to Zimbra, I found that his consistently applies to folders which have sub-folders in them - see the thread here: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/error-r...er-folder.html

If you do send/receive and your desktop doesn't reconcile with your online account, that could be a bug unless the folder's sync is disabled.

Follow the FAQ to collect some debug trace and file a bug with details. Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification.

You also wrote:

"Now regarding how to map Sent/Drafts/Trash folders, for generic IMAP services we don't currently have a way for user to interactively map these folders."

This is really something that, in combination with the unreliability of syncing that I have encountered (dealt with in other threads), is likely to push me off using Zimbra.

I can live with moving messages from the local Sent folder to the IMAP Sent folder manually. But if Zimbra is really not able to handle Drafts correctly (manually moving them to the Imap Draft folder doesn't work), then I just can't use it. I often write drafts on one computer and then polish them off on another.

Add to which: I would expect an IMAP mail client to be able to use IMAP folders consistently; I don't understand how one could release a client that is not capable of doing this. Arguably, one reason to use IMAP is because one accesses an account from different computers. And that's just not possible with Zimbra at the moment.

These are all issues I have seen and it does as you say render Zimbra Desktop somewhat limited - Thunderbird and/or Kmail do a much better job in my view.

I kind of like Zimbra but it seems that it is only worth using if you use Yahoo Mail, which is a shame but perhaps not surprising. Unless there are plans to address the imap sync problems I will remove ZD from my computer.

Exclamation Similar situation using IMAP Exchange

Using ZD using IMAP for Exchange does work but finding in interesting issues also regarding downloading emails within subfolders.

Downloading to the main INBOX works fine but subdirectories do not, as follows:

Inbox (YES email)
    - 1st level subfolder (NO email)
    -- 1st sublevel subfolder (YES email)
    -- 2nd sublevel subfolder (YES email)
    - 2nd level subfolder (NO email)
    -- 1st sublevel subfolder (YES email)
    -- 2nd sublevel subfolder (YES email)
    And so on.
    The filters are set within Exchange and they are working just fine as OWA and Evolution download the folder tree and all messages contained just fine.

Can't seem to find a bug entry or a forum post that meets this problem.

Bruce
    Last edited by bmw; 01-13-2009 at 02:03 AM.

There is a thread on this, and it's good you can confirm this behaviour: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/error-r...-folder-2.html