Thread: Zimbra Desktop frustrates the hell out of me

Default Zimbra Desktop frustrates the hell out of me

I am so frustrated that this tool never seems to stay in the windows dock, does not consistently show when new mail has arrived and general acts flaky.

For the past 2 days, Whenever I rebooted, I could no longer get Zimbra Desktop to start. I got the error "could not find prism.exe" from the link in my windows toolbar. In fact prism.exe did not exist because apparently there is now a zdclient.exe instead. But alas, there was no note of this and the shortcut on my toolbar of course was not changed as part of the upgrade.

That would not be so bad except that all of my mail folders, and filters are now gone as was my email account definitions.

I saw this - http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...1-1-838-a.html and decided that was likely my problem so I did a clean uninstall and reinstalled zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32.exe

But in doing so, it seems that I have lost everything that I had before. While I mostly connect to imap server so the bulk of my mail is there, I did not realize that folders created in Zimbra Desktop are not put on the imap server as I thought they would have.

Anyone have any idea if I can possibly salvage my old profile or somnething to get back my lost email, address books and filters??

Certainly makes me want to switch to something other than Zimbra Desktop at this point.

This really sucks.

-tom

What was the version you were using before 1482? And how did you upgrade to 1482? It sounds like your previous version was partially uninstalled, and when you install 1482 it now goes into a different folder.

My only guess is you were using a very old version.

I was using zdesktop_0_91_build_1344_win32.exe It went thru a normal upgrade as I recall very recently. But it started acting up when I restarted.

The first time it complained about not finding prism.exe, I went to the directory it expected to find prism - C:\zimbra\zdesktop\win32\prism\prism.exe
    and sure enough prism.exe did not exist.

So I downloaded the latest version to install and used zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32.exe

After a windows restart, same issue with prism.exe. Seemed odd, so I searched the forums and found the article referring to a bug that I referenced earlier - See Bug 29806 – offline : Prism.exe missing while doule clicking zdesktop short cut from desktop.

It said - If you are already in this situation, the only cure is to do a manual, clean uninstall first, and then reinstall zdesktop. Your data will not be lost if you follow the steps outlined in Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki

So I did a clean uninstall thinking I would then do a reinstall and all would be fine.

No such luck.

I see the store is still present in the C:\zimbra\zdesktop folder, but don't imagine it is as easy copying that to this new directory structure under local settings\applicationdata ...

Any help is appreciated.

-to

uninstalling zdesktop_1_0_build_1482_win32.exe and reinstalling zdesktop_0_91_build_1344_win32.exe got my mail/folders/etc back.

I must have been installing in a new directory. Not sure if the default directory changed and I needed to specify the old one or what.

1344 is a pretty old version. You were running into this issue: Bug 29796 – uninstaller can't shutdown prism process

It has been since fixed quite a few versions ago. I think what happened was that you did an uninstall and then installed into a different folder (because we changed default install location as well).

If it's a direct upgrade, the installer knows to use the previous location. But since you first uninstalled and then installed, installer treats that as a fresh new install. That's why now you don't see the old mail.