Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Hotmail Account always fails - WHY? What to do?

Exclamation Adding Hotmail Account always fails - WHY? What to do?

In a recent LifeHacker (Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done) article enabled "Hotmail Enables POP3 for US Users (Windows Live: Hotmail Enables POP3 for US Users), the settings they give to successfully connect to Hotmail via POP3 are as follows:

POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
    POP SSL required? Yes
    User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
    Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
    SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25)
    Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
    TLS/SSL required? Yes

The problem I'm having with Zimbra Desktop is successfully adding my Hotmail account to it. This is what I've tried so far:

Account Setup
    Add New Account

Account Type: Microsoft Live Hotmail

Account Name: my Hotmail account name without the @hotmail.com
    Your Full Name: same alias as my Hotmail account name
    Email Address: my full Hotmail email address WITH the @hotmail.com
    Password: my Hotmail email account password
    Validate and Save

>> ERROR READS: "service.FAILURE: system failure: Unable to connect to mail store: DataSource: { id=dd76e564-4a8e-4cf3-af1c-6fcf2c116ae8, type=live, isEnabled=true, name=tygerzoyd, host=www.hotmail.com, port=80, connectionType=cleartext, username=tygerzoyd@hotmail.com, folderId=1 }"

Account Type: POP

Account Name: my Hotmail account name without the @hotmail.com
    Your Full Name: same alias as my Hotmail account name
    Email Address: my full Hotmail email address WITH the @hotmail.com

Receiving Mail
    User Name: my Hotmail account name without the @hotmail.com
    Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com (Port = 995)
    Security - Use SSL encryption when accessing this server? YES

Sending Mail
    SMTP Mail Server: smtp.live.com (Port = 25)
    Security - Use SSL encryption when sending mail? YES
    Authentication - Username and password required to send mail? YES
    User Name: my Hotmail account name without the @hotmail.com
    Validate and Save

>> ERROR READS: "Windows Live Hotmail access cannot use IMAP or POP"

So has anyone actually successfully added Hotmail to Zimbra Desktop? if so, HOW? According to the article I referenced above, it should be possible, but according to Zimbra Desktop, it won't allow it.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it?

I am on a MacBook Pro running OSX Leopard (10.5.6).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

We just fixed it recently: Bug 35162 – allow POP for live mail accounts

It will be available in the next release.

I am still having this problem.

Mac version 1.0 build 1537

live mail works fine with pop settings, but BE WARNED. last i checked zimbra forcefully removes the message on the server. if u check the leave messages on server option, it will not validate. so use it with live mail only if you want ur server cleaned everytime zimbra checks it.

even postbox supports hotmail and leaves messages on server. zimbra folks.. help the hotmail users out please. we love your client. dont desert us.

Default Hotmail account fails

I've been trying to add my hotmail account, and it keeps saying that the user account authentication failed, and to check my username and password. However, I'm pretty positive I've entered them correctly and I've tried a few times already. I also tried adding it as a POP account but it fails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xogabb View Post
    I've been trying to add my hotmail account, and it keeps saying that the user account authentication failed, and to check my username and password. However, I'm pretty positive I've entered them correctly and I've tried a few times already. I also tried adding it as a POP account but it fails as well.
    do not set up using microsoft live hotmail.use it with pop settings in the drop down

Try Send and Receive Windows Live Hotmail emails from a Mail Client in Hotmail help for the right process.

So far this works for me both in & out, and leaves msgs on the server.

Yes - Send and Receive Windows Live Hotmail emails from a Mail Client

I spent weeks searching for a solution including some crappy IMAP/POP convertor service and eventually found the above link.

IMHO, Zimbra Help is rubbish on this - why so partisan about a program lots of people use even if it is from Microsoft? Get real folks and explain it in the setup like you should!

Exclamation SSL Connection failure. Please Check host and port settings

I'm getting the following error when I follow the directions laid out in this thread:
    Code:
    SSL Connection failure. Please Check host and port settings
    Error Details:
    Code:
    com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapFaultException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection? ExceptionId:com.zimbra.common.service.RemoteServiceException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection? ExceptionId:btpool0-43:1306511437827:d607ba901c64a788 Code:remote.SSL_FAILURE at com.zimbra.common.service.RemoteServiceException.SSL_FAILURE(RemoteServiceException.java:100) at com.zimbra.common.service.RemoteServiceException.doSSLFailures(RemoteServiceException.java:174) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning.testDataSource(OfflineProvisioning.java:660) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning.createDataSourceAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:706) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning.createAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:511) at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.CreateAccount.handle(CreateAccount.java:64) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:412) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:287) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:158) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.java:294) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:215) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:208) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:814) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:390) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:422) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:543) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:946) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:756) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:405) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:410) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451) Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection? at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.handleUnknownRecord(Unknown Source) at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(Unknown Source) at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source) at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source) at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source) at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source) at com.zimbra.common.net.CustomSSLSocket.startHandshake(CustomSSLSocket.java:90) at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.configureSSLSocket(SocketFetcher.java:503) at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:234) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1672) at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:525) at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:313) at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:172) at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:121) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning.test(OfflineProvisioning.java:668) at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning.testDataSource(OfflineProvisioning.java:648) ... 30 more Code:remote.SSL_FAILURE at com.zimbra.common.soap.Soap12Protocol.soapFault(Soap12Protocol.java:88) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.extractBodyElement(SoapTransport.java:344) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.parseSoapResponse(SoapTransport.java:303) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:260) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:164) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport.java:397) at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport.java:360) at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.invoke(SoapProvisioning.java:321) at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.createAccount(SoapProvisioning.java:464) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.JspProvStub.createOfflineDataSource(JspProvStub.java:126) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.XmailBean.doRequest(XmailBean.java:267) at com.zimbra.cs.offline.jsp.FormBean.doRequest(FormBean.java:150) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.sun.el.parser.AstFunction.getValue(AstFunction.java:127) at com.sun.el.ValueExpressionImpl.getValue(ValueExpressionImpl.java:206) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.evaluateExpression(PageContextImpl.java:1001) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspx_meth_c_when_3(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspx_meth_c_choose_0(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jsp.desktop.accsetup_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:109) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:814) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:389) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:486) at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:380) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:814) at com.zimbra.webClient.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:64) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHeaderFilter.java:79) at com.zimbra.webClient.filters.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHeaderFilter.java:239) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:422) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:543) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:946) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:756) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:405) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:410) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)
    Any Suggestions?

Have the issues with deleting messages on the hotmail server when using the Zimbra Desktop client been resolved?

I selected the hotmail option to not allow other clients delete messages from hotmail, and I've tried configuring the Desktop client to access and send hotmail but it continues to fail for the reasons stated in the messages above.

I've got accounts all over the place and hoped this client would be the best way to integrate them all, but without Hotmail support, where I get most of my site notifications, comments to be moderated, etc, this client is just another app that partially serves it's purpose.

Works great with Gmail, yahoo, etc., just the Hotmail issues hoses it up.

Another question: Will there be Google+ account integration coming soon?

Yet another question: The process to add my FaceBook account worked great, however, The process to add Twitter account does nothing, never opens the browser. Is there a workaround?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Dave of Ride It Like You Stole It
    Last edited by DaveDragon; 07-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.