Thread: I thought Zimbra was supposed to run in the background

Default I thought Zimbra was supposed to run in the background

I read in the main FAQ that when you close down the Zimbra GUI it's still running in the background. However, as far as I can make it, on my machine that's not happening. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and can't see anything obvious running in the background when I looked at Activity Monitor. I also don't receive any notification about new emails.

Is there a problem with my installation? If so, how do I resolve it?

You can only receive email notification when GUI is running. The background service is shown as "java" on Activity Monitor.

Default Documentation and Toaster Notification for Mac, Please

Two thoughts:
    1. I read the same FAQ that Rob_UK did and spent hours trying to "resolve" the probelm. It should be made explicit in the documentation that while YZD runs in the background, notifications don't work.

2. Since this is the case, it would be WONDERFUL if there were an updated, freestanding version of Zimbra Toaster for Mac (10.4-compatible, please) that could access Yahoo mail, since notifications were the main reason I downloaded YZD in the first place.

Thanks

So this really depends on your perspective. Our intention is to make the Desktop UI itself the "toaster", especially when minimized. If you look at programs like Outlook and Thunderbird, they really don't come with a standalone toaster.

If you receive email infrequently then a standalone toaster would be quite good; though do appreciate both sides of the conversation.

I admit very candidly that I wasn't looking for a third party email client when I decided to try out YZD. I was looking for the equivalent of Google Notifier for Yahoo: a small app that would regularly monitor incoming messages so that as I work I can see if what's coming in needs immediate attention or not. I also like the placement on the menu bar and the growl notification style.

I don't think it's so much a matter of email frequency as the nature of my work. A few years back I worked (in an office) on the computer all the time and email was a huge part of my job, so the mail client was always open. I'm a student again, working on a variety of projects, some of which involve audio and video editing, and having a mail client open all the time seems clunky, besides which I never really meant to download all those messages onto my hard drive. I get a lot of announcements of all kinds, so it's nice to know right away if it's something that needs my attention rather than weeding through twenty emails a day from the departmental secretary, tons of performance announcements, university official business, friends' messages, etc. etc. some of which are very important and some of which are absolutely not.

Sorry, that was way more personal info than you needed. I think having a Google Notifier/Toaster app as part of the YZD package, one that opens the main YZD app when that important email does actually come in, could be a feature that would make YZD that much better than Thunderbird or Outlook. But that's just me. I'm giving YZD a shot for now. Cheers.

YZD has a few ways of notifying user for new messages: Options|Mail|Receiving Messages|When a message arrives... One of the options is a pop-up notification.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwoman View Post
    I admit very candidly that I wasn't looking for a third party email client when I decided to try out YZD. I was looking for the equivalent of Google Notifier for Yahoo: a small app that would regularly monitor incoming messages so that as I work I can see if what's coming in needs immediate attention or not. I also like the placement on the menu bar and the growl notification style.

I don't think it's so much a matter of email frequency as the nature of my work. A few years back I worked (in an office) on the computer all the time and email was a huge part of my job, so the mail client was always open. I'm a student again, working on a variety of projects, some of which involve audio and video editing, and having a mail client open all the time seems clunky, besides which I never really meant to download all those messages onto my hard drive. I get a lot of announcements of all kinds, so it's nice to know right away if it's something that needs my attention rather than weeding through twenty emails a day from the departmental secretary, tons of performance announcements, university official business, friends' messages, etc. etc. some of which are very important and some of which are absolutely not.

Sorry, that was way more personal info than you needed. I think having a Google Notifier/Toaster app as part of the YZD package, one that opens the main YZD app when that important email does actually come in, could be a feature that would make YZD that much better than Thunderbird or Outlook. But that's just me. I'm giving YZD a shot for now. Cheers.