Thread: Feature question: Open calendar while composing email

Default Feature question: Open calendar while composing email

It would be nice to be able to open the calendar while I'm composing an email without having to go through the process of saving the email in Drafts. I often need to check my calendar when replying to an email and being forced to go through this save-draft approach is a bit inconvenient.

You can do Options->Composing->Always compose in new window

The drawback is that current ZD won't allow you to drag and drop attachments into new compose window.

Yes, that's one solution. My only comment about that is it would be nice if the compose window opened a bit faster. It's probably an artifact of Zimbra being a web app.

Zimbra does provide a way to launch the calendar in a separate window, but the command is only available when you are viewing the calendar. Close, but not quite what I need.

Can you file an RFE about this? Thanks.

Bugzilla Main Page

How about this - separate tabs for compose & reading (deep msg view) is already in GNR 6.0:

You can have more than one open, then switch back and forth between it and the calendar:
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-19-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: 2nd pic

What's the difference between Compose and Message? I'm not sure I quite follow what these tabs are for?

Ultimately, the issue extends beyond accessing the Calendar while composing a new email. On more than one occasion I have wanted to check another email when I was composing an email and the only way I could do it was to go through the draft-save option. I might very well want to do access documents or tasks while composing an email but the same restrictions apply.

This is basically the same as the often encountered problem of modal versus modeless dialogs. The rule of thumb is that modal dialogs should be avoided in GUI design, allowing the user to access the main application when a dialog is open. The way zdesktop is designed is sort of (although not exactly) like the modal dialog paradigm.

The only solution, as has been suggested, is to configure zdesktop to open a new window when composing new mail. This is in fact how I have it setup now. Losing drag and drop is unforunate but acceptable. A bigger complaint for me is how slow opening a new window is. If a new window opened quickly, it would just be like using Outlook and I'd feel right at home.

So, as far as opening an RFE, it sounds like the issue may be addressed already in 6.0. I just can quite figure out what all those tabs means.
    Last edited by PeterSteele; 02-20-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSteele View Post
    A bigger complaint for me is how slow opening a new window is. If a new window opened quickly, it would just be like using Outlook and I'd feel right at home.
    Can you open an RFE about the slowness in opening new compose window? We need to address this anyway. Thanks.

That I can do.

Peter

Done; see bug #35530.