Thread: Zimbra desktop and OpenOffice send e-mail directly

Default Zimbra desktop and OpenOffice send e-mail directly

Hi All,

A while ago we made the switch from EVOLUTION email to the zimbra webclient. (yes, we use LINUX desktops) The main reason for this switch was to share calendars and contacts. There is one thing most people encounter and that is that in the old situation people could send directly e-mail from OpenOffice. EVOLUTION opened with a "new messages" screen, put the receipts address and the file was send.

Because we use the ZIMBRA webcient I haven't spend much time finding a solution to sending e-mail directly out OpenOffice, because send something to a webbrowser isn't easy or not possible at all.

But yesterday I saw that the ZIMBRA DESKTOP client v1 has been release. So I directly installed it for testing. The old ZIMBRA DESKTOP was not be able to share calendars and contacts. I'm happy that this new release can share!

Now is my question, what do I have to define (command) in OpenOffice to get the ZIMBRA DESKTOP to open a "new message" screen and add the file as an attachment? (like in the old day's when we used EVOLUTION)

Hope someone can help me with that.

Thanks,
    Daniël
    Last edited by danielw; 02-24-2009 at 04:40 AM.
    Kind regards,
    DaniŽl Westhoek

I would also like to know if this is possible with MS Office and with the windows "send to" feature.

please file a feature request.

Ok. So the feature doesn't exist at the moment. And other programs like Evolution, thunderbird and Outlook can do this for years!

Well, I have added a request:
    Bug 35716 – Request: Automatic "new message" window with Zimbra Desktop

Thanks,
    DaniŽl
    Kind regards,
    DaniŽl Westhoek

by the way, you can already set zd as default mail handler (Options->Global->Other->System Defaults). that works on windows and mac, but not on linux

What I have done is to set Thunderbird as the default mail client. I have configured thunderbird with IMAP with the users e-mail account. Configured OpenOffice to use thunderbird by default.

Now, when you use in OpenOffice to send document as e-mail only the compose window of thunderbird comes up. I have synchronized the addressbook (there is a thunderbird zimbra add-in to do this)

With this you have solved this problem. But you have to use two clients, and that's a bit weird!
    Kind regards,
    DaniŽl Westhoek