Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Notification In Linux

Default Mail Notification In Linux

I realize that mail notification is not implemented in Linux but will it be in the future? I have tried to use zimbranotify in conjunction with the web client but linuxnotify does not seem to be working (not sure if it's an issue with my setup or not). I thought about using Evolution but the connector no longer seems to be in development.

I run a web business and I need to see emails as they come in so this is a very important feature for me. If anyone has any suggestions or if the developers could comment on whether or not mail notification will be implemented in Linux, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by homesfortomes; 03-05-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Welcome to the forums

Would this be of help to you :- Wiki :: ZimbraNotify

Zimbranotify seems like a decent solution but the main problem with it is that it does not seem to be working. Perhaps it's just a problem with my configuration but I'm not sure. Does anyone have it working with the current release of ZCS?

Have not tried it myself but will give it a go this evening and post my findings.

I was thinking about it and Zimbranotify is probably not a very good solution for Zimbra Desktop. The reason is twofold:

1). When a message is read in Zimbra Dektop, it is not marked as read on the server.

2). External accounts added through Zimbra Desktop are not reflected on the web client and vice versa. This would mean that a separate program would be needed to monitor and notify of new mail arriving at external accounts.

In a nutshell, this shows the absolute need to have mail notification implemented in Linux if this client (and perhaps Zimbra in general) is to be viable for business use (in Linux). Perhaps the devs can communicate w/ the Ubuntu team and work something out for the new notification system in Jaunty.

Devs, please comment on whether notifications are on the roadmap for Linux. Thanks.
    Last edited by homesfortomes; 03-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Uxbod,

Just wondering if you had an opportunity to test Zimbranotify. I am thinking that using linuxnotify w/ the web client is probably the best solution for now. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by homesfortomes; 03-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.

I've been trying to get Zimbranotify working for the past few days to no avail. It's still not clear as to whethere or not it will notify for calendars and such... Apparently there are modifications in the forum thread for Zimbranotify that would allow it to notify on all folders or emails. Which would be better than nothing... if I could get it to work.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by homesfortomes View Post
    I was thinking about it and Zimbranotify is probably not a very good solution for Zimbra Desktop. The reason is twofold:

1). When a message is read in Zimbra Dektop, it is not marked as read on the server.
    Yes, it is and it certainly works for me with RC2 (and older releases) on a ZCS mailbox and other external mailboxes.

2). External accounts added through Zimbra Desktop are not reflected on the web client and vice versa. This would mean that a separate program would be needed to monitor and notify of new mail arriving at external accounts.
    That's not surprising as that's not what the Desktop client is for. If you want to see a synchronisation between the external accounts in ZCS and ZD you should search bugzilla for any already listed RFE and file on if there's not one there. You will see a notification if the ZD GUI is open, currently a flashing 'new message' in the taskbar icon.

In a nutshell, this shows the absolute need to have mail notification implemented in Linux if this client (and perhaps Zimbra in general) is to be viable for business use (in Linux). Perhaps the devs can communicate w/ the Ubuntu team and work something out for the new notification system in Jaunty.
    If you want to check all your mail accounts then why not use something like this: Mail Notification - that works for me on openSUSE and multiple mail accounts.

Devs, please comment on whether notifications are on the roadmap for Linux. Thanks.
    Check bugzilla, as mentioned above, for 'toaster'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Yes, it is and it certainly works for me with RC2 (and older releases) on a ZCS mailbox and other external mailboxes.
    Just to verify: you are saying that it would be marked as read in the web client, correct? If so, I just tested this w/ RC2 the day it was released and it did not seem to work w/ my hosted Zimbra mailbox. I did not test it w/ any external accounts yet. Does it take a while for the message to be marked as read?

That's not surprising as that's not what the Desktop client is for. If you want to see a synchronisation between the external accounts in ZCS and ZD you should search bugzilla for any already listed RFE and file on if there's not one there. You will see a notification if the ZD GUI is open, currently a flashing 'new message' in the taskbar icon.
    Oh, I know. I was just thinking that this could be a workaround until mail notification is added to the Linux version of ZD. Basically, add the accounts in ZD and then add them in ZCS. Does that make sense?

If you want to check all your mail accounts then why not use something like this: Mail Notification - that works for me on openSUSE and multiple mail accounts.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Check bugzilla, as mentioned above, for 'toaster'.
    Thanks, will do.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Just to verify: you are saying that it would be marked as read in the web client, correct? If so, I just tested this w/ RC2 the day it was released and it did not seem to work w/ my hosted Zimbra mailbox. I did not test it w/ any external accounts yet. Does it take a while for the message to be marked as read?
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I have ZD RC2 & ZCS 5.0.13 and several external accounts in ZD (gmail, yahoo, my ISP etc.). If I receive a message in ZD and I read the message or mark it as read the corresponding mail on the server will get marked as read, I think it mightl depend on the sync cycle you're using. For the Zimbra server I have ZD account set to sync as new mail arrives and the other accounts set to sync every 15 mins (as they're low volume). So to summarise, they all get marked as read on the servers if I mark them in ZD.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.