Several times when I tried to change passwords first on my webmail and then "Zimbra Desktop" via setup/edit then change password; the function didn't work. As a result I ended up having to reset and restart account which caused me to lose all previous filters and contacts as well as emails.

To understand the problem better it might be helpful to test the password changing features to see how it is quite difficult and doesn''t function properly.

A reinstall of the program didn't resolve my issue which leads me to believe its a scripting problem with the program.

As a good practice some people like to change their passwords from to time so this feature is of some importance.

Any feedback on this would be great thanks!

Dean