Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotmail connection issue.

Default well Gosh!

I really wanted to use Zimbra, BUT I'm not changing my email address of 13 years for the sake of using another email client.

yeah its a very good client with some amazing features. but they dont seem to care about people with hotmail accounts at all. waiting for yahoo to support other imap clients, then moving to windows live mail.

Hotmail limitations are caused by Microsoft. They do not have any supported APIs to access mail but WebDAV has been added using undocumented compatibility (there are a few Open Source projects). Microsoft stated quite some time ago that they would drop WebDAV support completely, but have maintained it due to Outlook Express users on Windows XP (common on netbooks).

Microsoft does have a new DeltaSync API but it must be licensed and there are no Open Source implementations. As a result, to use Zimbra Desktop with Hotmail, the best option is to upgrade to Hotmail Plus or contact their support department to see if they will enable your account without going Plus. Otherwise, the next release of Desktop will have POP3 enhancements, though that does not allow full synchronization

i understand that hotmail support is lacking. however they have a pop mode. clients like thunderbird (which were not developed by microsoft) are able to download mail and leave it on the server as well. thats all i want. i am not asking for push or instant sync like imap. all i am asking for is pop support without requiring UIDL.

i mentioned earlier that if i dont check the "leave messages on server" it works fine, but i want my mail to persist on the server. which Zimbra fails at doing.

tell me why should i use Zimbra instead of Ypops and outlook or thunderbird with the webmail extension?

i have a good mind to sniff what kind of imap yahoo is using and then just use that in a better mail client instead of waiting for Zimbra to work on hotmail.

UIDL-less POP3 support requires using a different mechanism to determine what messages are new which is why it will be in another release.

Yahoo IMAP requires a Pro account or special authentication from approved clients like Zimbra Desktop. It is not enabled for free accounts by other mail clients

Hotmail Plus is reasonably priced and will give a far better experience than their partially implemented POP service

not paying.

waiting.

hope its soon.

pop works fine on live, except it forces you to delete the message on the server. go to account settings and check the leave messages on server. it won't allow u to connect. that is my only gripe.

just upgraded to build 1593. still no support for UIDL-less pop servers. clearly users with yahoo and 'hotmail accounts who want to leave messages on server' are not on any priority list.

fail!

Default Still no support for POP3.live.com without UIDL

I too, just upgraded to build 1593. still no support for UIDL-less pop servers.

no its not.

and dont spam.