Thread: Sync All Exchange Public Folders = BAD

Question Sync All Exchange Public Folders = BAD

I'm using the 1.0 zdesktop to get my company mail from an Exchange IMAP connection. Upon creating the account, I watched the first sync take hours and my disk space shrink one GB at a time. Then I discovered... ALL public folders were being pulled in.

WHAT?

My company has (right or wrong) a few thousand public folders. I do not want nor do I need any of them pulled down onto my machine. So, two questions:

1) Is there a way to disable auto-sync on public folders when an Exchange account is created? Or do I have to manually set each and every folder after creating the account?

2) How can I get rid of all this public data I don't want? If I delete my Public Folders from within zdesktop... will that end up deleting these shares on Exchange? Yeah, this may be a dumb question but part of me wants to try it and the other part doesn't want to get yelled at by my boss.

Thanks,
    Gary Parr
    Last edited by GaryParr; 09-02-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Default New Public Folder auto-sync

Well, since no one has any suggestions on dealing with Public Folders automatically synchronizing I'm going to assume that everyone who uses Zimbra Desktop has to wade through all of the public folders and turn sync off.

So what happens when your company creates new public folders... those folders are added to Zimbra Desktop with the sync enabled. Fun. This means that every few months I need to remember to look through the entire public folder tree for any folders that were added and turn off the sync.

There has to be a better solution. I cannot be the only person who does not want to syn every public folder in their organization.

Unhappy Hello?

Anyone out there?

Default I agree with you, public folders are bad to carry over

But I haven't seen a way to turn them off.

You have to disable sync for each individual folder. And, keep in mind that if someone creates a new public folder, it will be added and start syncronizing without you knowing.

There needs to be an option to disable auto-sync for all public folders.

Another month, another 6 public folders. There HAS to be a way to stop this.

Any luck on this? I am testing Zimbra Desktop and this is an issue for me. As We have loads of public folders. I was looking at this as a replacement for Entourage, for a Client, but with the auto sync on public folders this would be a deal killer as they have about 500gb of public folders and there are a lot of them.

Can you provide details of how you configured the exhange public folders so that get synced by zdesktop?

Thanks.