Thread: Calendar Notification

Default Calendar Notification

Is there a better way to get calendar notifications on Linux/Ubuntu? The current popup stays within the Zimbra Desktop window and I often miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by PKKid View Post
    Is there a better way to get calendar notifications on Linux/Ubuntu? The current popup stays within the Zimbra Desktop window and I often miss it.
    There's currently a bug report to fix audible alerts for the linux version of ZD.

Bug 38020 – Linux version: audible alert doesn't work

It would be really nice if we had a window popup in front of all other windows. Knowing Zimbra is a webapp, this may not be readily easy.

Maybe even just offer us an option to run a command when an alert pops up, this will allow us to type a single line to use libnotify.

I have been using a application from Rainlendar.com to monitor my Zimbra Calendar. It is multiple platform calendar application that support ical monitor and with notification popup done the right way. However, I could not recommend it before because it dose not support the icalendar format Zimbra use to handle exceptions in reoccurring meetings. Recent enchancement had fixed this issue. This is what I found the best calendar notification software to work with Zimbra. You can try it out yourself for free. Be sure to update to the Rainlendar 2.5 Build 81 beta from its forum. That's version with the corrected icalendar support.

Great thanks!
    I actually already have Rainlendar2 purchased as I have used this one Windows quite a bit. Now looking to see how to export and auto import the calendar information into Rainlendar. :-D

In the Pro version, just add Network Shared Calendar and point the URL to something like
    https://mailserver.my.domain/home/us...lendar?fmt=ics.
    There no need to import and export. Rainlendar2 pull the ical directly from server.
    I also recommend turning on "read only" flag, even though rainlendar2 can put events back into the calendar, it may overwirte changes/exceptions in the reoccurring meetings when you are update/adding other meetings to Rainlendar. Work best just for monitoring and notification.