Thread: Problem creating an email filter from disribution list

Default Problem creating an email filter from disribution list

Hello, I am having a hard time migrating my Outlook rules over to Zimbra email using either the Outlook connector or the web client. I have defined many email distribution lists in my contacts. Before migrating to Zimbra, I had rules set up so whenever an email from a person of my distribution list would come in to my inbox, it would be moved to a specific folder.

Now, when I try to create an equivalent rule using Zimbra Server rules in the outlook connector, I go to "from people or distribution list" in the rule wizard and then select the distribution list from my contacts. When I press "ok" in the Select Users window, nothing happens and I am just left with an empty list for "Selected Addresses". I make sure that in the Select Users dialog window, the list appears in the From -> field. Very frusterating...I have tried creating new lists but nothing except individual contacts (not lists) works.

I have also tried it in the online client but I can't seem to create a filter condition that will let me specify an email distribution list. I can see the list just fine in my online address book.

Is there any way to do this? If I have to add each email address individually, it will take hours because I have over a hundred people on some of these lists.

Thank you very much for your assistance. My outlook connector client version is 5.0.2817.11 and the server is 5.0.11_GA_2695.

-Sam

Is it possible you are mistaking a Group Contact List with an actual distribution list? In the "Select Users" dialog box, does it actually show the email address? Does the icon next to the name have a two-heads or one?

Is this an actual Zimbra Desktop issue, or a Zimbra Outlook Connector issue? If you are setting up a Zimbra account with Zimbra Desktop, the sieve rules would be set up in ZD.

It is a distribution list (as outlook calls it)...it has a card with two heads next to it. No, it just shows the name of the list with no email address. I can open up the list and at the top of the window it says "Lab - Distribution List".

Well, I was just trying to get any possible way of doing this...either using Zimbra web client, or the outlook connector. I am willing to use any solution but so far, I haven't seen a way to do this.

Sorry, I am new to Zimbra. What constitutes the Zimbra Desktop? Is this different from the web client?

Thanks again.

What you are describing is a group contact list, not an actual distribution list, i.e. allpublic@domain.com.

Information on ZD can be found here: Zimbra Desktop