Thread: Migrate from Outlook

Default Migrate from Outlook

The FAQ answers "Can I migrate emails from another mail application, like Outlook, Thunderbird or Eudora to YZD?"

Not with the current version

Does this mean it is planned for future versions?

I have read that so far the only way to get Outlook into Zdesktop is to setup ZCS. But then with that there are limitations on attachment size of 10MB and if you are close to that limit then you also need a server with more than 1GB of ram. But then what about the emails that are over that limit?

This is problematic for me because:
    I'm not linux savvy enough to install ZCS on my own unless it is available over add/remove programs/package manager.
    the only spare computer I have for messing around with linux only has 512mb ad (p3 - 1ghz)
    I have Outlook 2002 and the documentation I found on another thread suggested 2003 or newer.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't specifically need a Zimbra server (and the 10MB limit can be changed on the server) but you could try this.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Importing from Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMasta View Post
    The FAQ answers "Can I migrate emails from another mail application, like Outlook, Thunderbird or Eudora to YZD?"

Not with the current version

Does this mean it is planned for future versions?

I have read that so far the only way to get Outlook into Zdesktop is to setup ZCS. But then with that there are limitations on attachment size of 10MB and if you are close to that limit then you also need a server with more than 1GB of ram. But then what about the emails that are over that limit?

This is problematic for me because:
    I'm not linux savvy enough to install ZCS on my own unless it is available over add/remove programs/package manager.
    the only spare computer I have for messing around with linux only has 512mb ad (p3 - 1ghz)
    I have Outlook 2002 and the documentation I found on another thread suggested 2003 or newer.
    Using Zimbra Desktop you CAN import your Outlook Contacts, but not the email themselves. To import your emails, you'll need to import all your emails into an IMAP-enabled Gmail account (as described in the link above by pheonix) in Outlook, and then create that same account in Zimbra. Zimbra will then sync those files from the IMAP-enabled Gmail acocunt.

So here's the solution:
    Outlook email folder --> save as .pst --> enable IMAP in Gmail account --> import .pst file in Gamil account --> create Gmail account in Zimbra --> sync files.
    Last edited by pcOxygen; 08-25-2009 at 08:37 AM.

PC, Nice to know about the contacts but the emails are really my main concern.

Phoenix
    My main PST is only about 200MB but my archive is 1.3GB and I would imagine that could take a considerably long time to upload and hope there is no interruption during the transfer.

How would I then bring them into zimbra desktop and convert it to a NON imap/gmail account.

I see on that link the "bug/feature request" is over a year old. Seems like desktop sync is low priority.

Default Drag and Drop

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMasta View Post
    PC, Nice to know about the contacts but the emails are really my main concern.

Phoenix
    My main PST is only about 200MB but my archive is 1.3GB and I would imagine that could take a considerably long time to upload and hope there is no interruption during the transfer.

How would I then bring them into zimbra desktop and convert it to a NON imap/gmail account.

I see on that link the "bug/feature request" is over a year old. Seems like desktop sync is low priority.
    Zen, after sync of Zimbra with Gmail IMAP account you could create another folder (say, named "Backup") and drag and drop those emails into it. Then right click the new folder ("Backup") and "Turn sync off". In the Gmail account, after the sync and backup is complete, you can disable IMAP in Gmail.

Afterwhich is all said and done, I would backup those files using the Zimbra Options / Export utility. Better be safe than sorry.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    pcOxygen - Burkesville Computer Repair and Service
    http://www.pcOxygen.com

Thanks pc. The imap option is more of a hurdle than just setting up ZCS to begin. So I'll probably wait and hope they add native support soon or wait until I have some time to setup a server and go that route.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.