Thread: POP3 server does not support leaving messages on server (UIDL support required)

Default POP3 server does not support leaving messages on server (UIDL support required)

This is a major turn off for me. I just downloaded Zimbra Desktop to try it first time and I got this message about POP3 not able to leave messages on server. Wow, I can't believe this. Am I doing something wrong or is this really an issue with Zimbra?
    It's a simple feature that works on any other email client just fine.
    So I haven't even gotten to the point where I could evaluate the program, test it or find out whether I like it or not, I got stuck at this message when I was trying to set up my email in first few minutes of using it.
    If this is really the case and it is not fixed, I'll uninstall the program and keep using Thunderbird, it is really useless to me if I can't keep messages on server.
    Btw., I'm trying to setup my company email provided by speakeasy.
    Last edited by martan1912; 02-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.

It's actually not a simple feature by any means. POP3 was never designed to allow messages to be left on the server, it was a "download and get off the server as soon as it is seen" method of accessing mail.

However, you may want to take a look at this bug which details the progress on this issue for ZD and how Thunderbird and the like get around servers that don't support UIDL: Bug 30643 - Optional Support to disable UIDL-Requirement for POP3 Servers

If your mail provider supports it, try using a modern protocol like IMAP.

I did look at that bug post and I did vote on it, is there anything else to do? Looks like it has 18 votes - including mine, I'm surprised.
    I'll look at that IMAP choice.

Taking a look at Zimbra Product Portal it looks like this bug is one of the requirements for ZD 2.0 so it should be in there (when it gets released), for right now though there isn't much you can do.
    Last edited by ArcaneMagus; 02-16-2010 at 04:33 PM.

IMAP worked for me, account is set, thanks for that advice.
    The main reason why I'm trying this is to find out about options to have one contacts file and calendar shared with all the other users in the office. Is that possible only with Zimbra Collaboration Suite installed on the server?

Yes, that would only be possible if you were using Zimbra or another Collaboration Suite that supports sharing information like that.

Default The POP3 server does not support leaving messages on server (UIDL support required)

I was hoping Zimbra would be my answer to replacing Outlook, which I hate. This error message doesn't work for me, as I've always been able to leave mail on the server with ALL my email accounts, regardless of where they reside.

Will be uninstalling Zimbra.