Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from One computer to another

OK - but I'm not even concerned with moving the three folders at this point.

I have a hidden, broken account and I need to know how to clear that up so I can add the account manually.

Default Moving user data from one machine to another in Zimbra 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by jmhe View Post
    which zd version you are running?
    If I am using Zimbra 7.1.2, how do I migrate all the user data for all the accounts from one machine to another machine. I am having the same username in Windows in both machines and the path is also same. The OS is also same on both machines namely Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ezu View Post
    If I am using Zimbra 7.1.2, how do I migrate all the user data for all the accounts from one machine to another machine. I am having the same username in Windows in both machines and the path is also same. The OS is also same on both machines namely Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
    Why not just use the features already available in ZD? Export the data and import it into the new version.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Angry Moving from One computer to another

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why not just use the features already available in ZD? Export the data and import it into the new version.
    For some reason, this does not seem to work for me and on top of that, it also created problems when I tried it for the first time.

In Zimbra 7.1.2, the Import starts as it appears by a quick message displayed (and disappeared shortly) at the top of the screen mentioning "Import Started" or something similar (radio button clicked was "ignore"). After leaving the application running for whole night, in the morning, nothing ever changed.

The Help pages do not provide details on the process. (e.g. As the Import/Export menu is available only AFTER creating the account first as a menu item under Preferences for the Account, I did create the Yahoo Mail account on the new computer and set the sync to manually. This was to ensure that no data is downloaded from the server as otherwise it could be duplicated when downloaded from server and also imported from the file. This means that the account was created and validated but no folders were created in Zimbra Desktop corresponding to folders available in Yahoo mail nor were any messages downloaded from server even in default folders like Inbox). I also tried to use the radio button for "reset" instead of "ignore" to ensure that the account's existing data is reset before the import. In "Reset" case, the "Import Started" message also did not flash and nothing ever happened.

On an unpleasant experience in Zimbra 1.x version, when I imported, the data did not get properly imported and on top of that, the mails got duplicated on the server for that day. That is to say, I found same mail at least 10 times on the server for the day I had imported.

As Zimbra Desktop is not displaying the import status either as percentage complete or as number of messages imported, it becomes practically impossible to know the status of the import. To add to the frustration, nothing changes even 12 to 16 hours after the import starts in the account in terms of addition of folders or importing of messages from the file.

Hence, I asked if there was a way similar to copying the "derby", "index", "log", "redolog" and "store" in previous Zimbra versions to move the data from one computer to another in 7.1.2 assuming that the username, OS version and the application and data paths were identical on both machines in case of Zimbra Desktop 7.1.2 also.
    Last edited by ezu; 10-29-2011 at 01:40 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If the mail is still on the server(s) then again, why don't you just let ZD download the mail from the server? When you've tried the export, are you exporting/importing the whole account or are you just doing the email? If it's the whole account then try exporting/importing only the email and see if that works.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Moving from One computer to another

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If the mail is still on the server(s) then again, why don't you just let ZD download the mail from the server? When you've tried the export, are you exporting/importing the whole account or are you just doing the email? If it's the whole account then try exporting/importing only the email and see if that works.
    The problem is that I have around 40 GB of mail in total across four-five email accounts. I initially downloaded it on a fast Verizon FIOS 25 Mbps connection on laptop and currently I am in an area where the internet speed and the download limits are not that high.

Hence, it will be much easier for me to move over the data from the laptop to the desktop if there is such a workaround available.

By the way, while importing, I was not changing any options and hence the whole account was being imported.

I have since tried the above mentioned workaround to import only emails but it does not work too.

In short, account Import/Export on Zimbra 7.1.2 on Windows 7 x64 installation when the .tgz files are large JUST DOES NOT WORK. Zimbra Desktop also does not have any apparent way to show the progress or errors, if any.

I had to upgrade to 7.1.2 just because the Yahoo send mail problem started and was resolved only in 7.1.2. Otherwise, I was quite happy with 1.x version as that was a stable version (1.x also worked as a Windows Service and had an option to install the application along with user data on any hard drive. It also allowed to move the user data on similar configuration by moving derby, index, log, redolog and store. Import/Export did not work properly in 1.x either.). I had tried 2.x earlier and had similar problems as 7.x.
    Last edited by ezu; 10-29-2011 at 09:59 AM.