Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from One computer to another

Default Moving from One computer to another

Hello,

I used the backup option to back up the account. I have 4-5 email addresses utilizing zimbra desktop. I thought this backup would grab everything in the account. It only backed up the first one listed in zimbra.

I have the old user file saved (not sure where it is, but I have it saved through carbonite and windows easy transfer)

Can someone tell me where to locate this file and how to have the zimbra installation on my new computer pointing to this data.

Thanks in advance for any help!

which zd version you are running?

1_0_4 build 1833

Quote Originally Posted by tim205 View Post
    Hello,

I used the backup option to back up the account. I have 4-5 email addresses utilizing zimbra desktop. I thought this backup would grab everything in the account. It only backed up the first one listed in zimbra.
    you are talking about the export function in zd 1.0.x? it always exports the "current" account.

so to export the other accounts, you need to change the current mail account (in mail tag), then go back to preferernces to export for that account.

is there anyway to use the backed up application data from the old computer? I had to do a clean install of windows and I have my application data backed up.

Is there anyway to restore from this folder or hack the registry to make it work, etc?

if the new installation path is identical to that of old installation, then you can follow these steps:
    - install windows
    - install zimbra desktop
    - shutdown zimbra desktop service (right-click systray icon-Shutdown Service)
    - copy over "store", "derby" and "index" folders to your new zd installation, overwriting existing folders with the same names.
    - start zd.

make sure you shutdown zimbra desktop service (right-click on systray icon->Shutdown Service) before you start copying data; if not, then your backed up data may be corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by tim205 View Post
    is there anyway to use the backed up application data from the old computer? I had to do a clean install of windows and I have my application data backed up.

Is there anyway to restore from this folder or hack the registry to make it work, etc?
    Last edited by jmhe; 03-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Oh well, thanks for the 411. I gave it a shot, but I all I get is the loading screen when I launch the app. I guess I will start with a fresh install, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Is there a way to import just my accounts and not the data that was contained in them? It would save some time in not having to reconfigure all of the email addresses
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by tim205; 03-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.

I'm also moving zd (latest 1.x version) to a new box (windows 7 x64). I found this thread and attempting to copy my existing data (the three folders) as jmhe outlined. But it didn't work. I got a bunch of errors during the copy operation like

Error opening file: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop\derby\s eg0\c101.dat"
    Error opening file: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop\derby\s eg0\c121.dat"

After than I found when I started zd that there was a error; and no new accounts were listed besides the one I'd set up manually. I told zd to reset that account and that fixed it.

But now I'm just manually setting up each account. That's not so hard, but one of them has a ton of emails. The three folders zipped was nearly a gigabyte. It'll take a long long time to pull all of that down from gmail. So it's be good if there was a working way to copy and restore to a new location.

In general the newer versions of zd seem to get better and better - thanks for that!

I was wrong - I'm not out of the woods on this yet.

The first account which I'd manually created in the new zd install is broken. When I wrote before it seemed to be ok. But after that it gave me account not found or does not exist errors when I selected it. Finally it vanished form the main zd interface (ie wasn't listed on the left side any more). When I go to the accounts page it's not listed. But I can't create the account anew: when I try to do that I get this

account.ACCOUNT_EXISTS: email address already exists: fd8a4f89-d7ee-4ca7-8f66-e536e6a3b601

Is there some way in which I can get this cleaned up?

copying the 3 folders over won't work, UNLESS your new installation path is identical to the old one.

i guess you will have to export the data from old accounts; then import into new installation.

Quote Originally Posted by whileworth View Post
    I'm also moving zd (latest 1.x version) to a new box (windows 7 x64). I found this thread and attempting to copy my existing data (the three folders) as jmhe outlined. But it didn't work. I got a bunch of errors during the copy operation like

Error opening file: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop\derby\s eg0\c101.dat"
    Error opening file: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Zimbra\zdesktop\derby\s eg0\c121.dat"

After than I found when I started zd that there was a error; and no new accounts were listed besides the one I'd set up manually. I told zd to reset that account and that fixed it.

But now I'm just manually setting up each account. That's not so hard, but one of them has a ton of emails. The three folders zipped was nearly a gigabyte. It'll take a long long time to pull all of that down from gmail. So it's be good if there was a working way to copy and restore to a new location.

In general the newer versions of zd seem to get better and better - thanks for that!