Thread: Not very intuitive.

Question Not very intuitive.

Hi, I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to answer from reading the help pages.

1. All mailboxes

I gather there is a way to display all my emails on the same screen. This can apparently be done via 'preferences'. Is this the same as 'options' which I can find or is it something else and if so where is it?

2. Synchronising two computers

Like many people I have a desktop and a laptop and I want them both to show the same inbox. Can this be acheived from Zimbra or do I need to leave messages on the servers and download them them twice? If so can I delete them from one computer so that they get deleted on the server and the other computer?

I suppose the help pages are intended for IT professionals but they are opaque to me and the program interface is likewise not easy.

Any help that anyone can offer would be gratefully recieved.

thanks

Jon

Are you using the ZD 1.0 (available here:Zimbra Desktop), or are you using the ZD 2.0 beta?

1.) The ZD 2.0 beta has an "All Mailboxes" that shows a consolidated set of folders common to all accounts (The Inbox, Sent folders and the like). I do not believe that this functionality exists in ZD 1.0.

2.) Having two computers show the same view of the mailbox requires connecting to a server in a manner that supports that. If you are using a Zimbra account on a ZCS server, or if you are using IMAP to connect to your mail server (Gmail among others uses this method), then you should already be seeing a synchronized view between the two computers.

Thanks ArcaneMagus,
    I suppose I must be using ZD1.0 (although it is not clear to me how I find out which one I am using).

One of the mail accounts I am using is very old and from a service provider who no longer exists - it still works fine so I still use it. This means I can't access any settings for it at the server end.

Can I simply use something like Windows Live Mesh to keep the message folders synchronised? I have tried this but it seemed not to work. Do you know the locations of the right folders? One machine is running Vista and one is XP.

Thanks for your help

Jon Parsons

You can't simply keep a certain set of files synchronized as a lot of the information that ties the other files together is within a database that you could only copy/sync when the ZD service is shutdown.

If the service provider no longer exists how does your account work? Just offline access? Or are you still sending/receiving email on it? How do you access it?

Smile

OK thanks for that.

As for my email account - it is a mystery to me too. It was provided by my ISP some years ago. One day I had reason to go to its site and was presented with a screen telling me that if I was the domain manager (or something) then I owed someone some money. What's more I realised I had had no payments taken for the last 10 months and I continued to get free internet access (dial-up) for over a year. Then I moved house and it stopped working! Why moving a few miles away should have affected it I don't know and there was no one I could contact to ask.

Anyway the email address still works very well so I have continued to use it although I don't use it for anything too important in case it stops.

Thanks for you help, hopefully Zimbra will get better - but I can't complain if its free