Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Desktop and the Outlook Connector interaction

Hybrid View

Question Zimbra Desktop and the Outlook Connector interaction

Before I screw things up and cause myself a lot of extra work...

I'm assuming the Outlook Connector will work with ZD. The title on the manual for the Outlook Connector wizard talks only about using it with ZCS, and I haven't had time yet to read it.

And of course, the manual assumes I'm using Windows, and I'm not. I'm using a Mac for my primary computer these days.

So, here's some questions:

1. Does the connector work when you want to migrate the Outlook file from a Windows XP installation to a Mac OS X 10.5.8 installation?

2. My Outlook/XP install is on a virtual machine, Parallels Desktop, on the Mac. Will the connector be able to transfer the PST from the virtual machine to the Mac?

3. Just in general, because the hardware is not up and running (undergoing major repairs due to failed power supply), is it fairly easy to transfer the mail folders and settings from the Mac's ZD installation to any other ZD install on another computer/OS installation? I'm not interested in copying or syncing the data from tasks, calendar, etc., just the mail and contacts lists, plus any updates after the initial setup. Only the Mac installation will be set to delete the files from the server.

For the moment, that's all I can think of.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
    George Bernard Shaw

Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
    cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
    President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by snowshed View Post
    I'm assuming the Outlook Connector will work with ZD. The title on the manual for the Outlook Connector wizard talks only about using it with ZCS, and I haven't had time yet to read it.
    AFAIK the outlook connector works ONLY with Zimbra Server...
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

The outlook connector is an extension to Outlook that allows it to use some of the more advanced features on the Zimbra server that are not available from just using the Exchange protocol.

At least that's what I understand it to be.

Also to your question 3: Migration of the raw files is only possible if ZD is installed in the exact same directory on the new computer (Going from a Mac to windows is impossible, and to Linux is a maybe). If you want to create a backup you should export your account in ZD. This will create a .tgz file that can be imported to any ZD install.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    Also to your question 3: Migration of the raw files is only possible if ZD is installed in the exact same directory on the new computer (Going from a Mac to windows is impossible, and to Linux is a maybe). If you want to create a backup you should export your account in ZD. This will create a .tgz file that can be imported to any ZD install.
    Actually, it's the other way around. I want to move everything from my Outlook 2003, that represents 3-4 years worth of records, to ZD. And never use Outlook again.

My observation of developers of new software is they have great ideas of what to put into the program, make it available across platforms, and then ignore making it easy to move your data from another program. In this case, Outlook 2003. Outlook doesn't know a .tgz file from Adam! IMO, the average Windows and Mac user is clueless about .tgz file.

If the developer of a new program, or even if it its trying to attract users to a different OS, the developers need to make that migration easy. They seem to be great at making the computer do things, but hard at making easy for the end user.
    Ken Springer

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by snowshed View Post
    If the developer of a new program, or even if it its trying to attract users to a different OS, the developers need to make that migration easy. They seem to be great at making the computer do things, but hard at making easy for the end user.
    it's never an easy task, especially if you're dealing with closed software (Outlook) where you have to use licensed tools to read data from.

Now that I think, I remember that Zimbra SERVER (not desktop) has a PST importer.
    File an enhancement bug, to have ZD import from PST too.

Anyway, searching for "zimbra desktop import pst" gives a lot of results, like
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...no-server.html
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post101706
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Quote Originally Posted by maxxer View Post
    it's never an easy task, especially if you're dealing with closed software (Outlook) where you have to use licensed tools to read data from.

Now that I think, I remember that Zimbra SERVER (not desktop) has a PST importer.
    File an enhancement bug, to have ZD import from PST too.

Anyway, searching for "zimbra desktop import pst" gives a lot of results, like
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...no-server.html
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post101706

Is it that hard, or do they just not think of it? I ask, because I've been looking at lots of open source software, and by far, the majority of the software makes it hard for the average user to get it installed. No Windows installer, no dmg or pkg for a Mac, etc. Instead, you have to go through 3-4 steps to get it installed. Or say to yourself, "What's a tgz file?"

I just had a wild thought about this dilemma of mine.... I have a Windows computer I'm repairing and will be putting on my home network.

What if...
    1. I temporarily install ZCS on the Windows machine.
    2. Access the Outlook files on the virtual machine, which is on the Mac, and move the files from Outlook to ZCS on the Windows machine.
    3. Move the files from ZCS on the Windows machine to ZD on the Mac?
    4. Delete ZCS from the Windows machine.

Does that sound like it's doable?
    Ken Springer

George Bernard Shaw

Not in the slightest bit doable, ZCS only runs on Linux and OSX Try taking a look at some of the links that maxxer posted. If you can't get those to work and think you are up to the task of installing a ZCS server, why not just run it in a virtual machine?

The problem isn't complexity of the task, or the idea to do it, it's a licensing issue for the Outlook file format. There was some discussion a while back about possibly getting PST import put into ZD 2.0 but it doesn't look like it is in the (current) beta.

Who knows though, MS is supposedly releasing documentation of the pst file format so maybe it can be added

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    Not in the slightest bit doable, ZCS only runs on Linux and OSX Try taking a look at some of the links that maxxer posted. If you can't get those to work and think you are up to the task of installing a ZCS server, why not just run it in a virtual machine?
    I did a quick scan of the posts, but because of the dates of the posts, I thought there might be a better way.

The Windows box will be multiboot, I could just put a Linux partition on it. A Linux partition was always an idea, now I've got a reason!

The problem isn't complexity of the task, or the idea to do it, it's a licensing issue for the Outlook file format. There was some discussion a while back about possibly getting PST import put into ZD 2.0 but it doesn't look like it is in the (current) beta.
    OTOH, maybe it's just as quick to export individual modules as a CSV file, and then import them.

Who knows though, MS is supposedly releasing documentation of the pst file format so maybe it can be added
    MS isn't known for playing nice with other people, IMO. They've lost their fair share of court cases over the years because of this.

I haven't given up on Zimbra at all. For what I want an email client to do for me on the Mac, Zimbra is the most promising candidate so far, short of buying software which definitely isn't in the budget these days.

Slightly off the specific topic, I'm not deeply into a lot of stuff with 1.04, is the 2.0 beta stable enough to be worth a person's time? I don't mind giving it a try if it's not too difficult to revert back to 1.04 if things go haywire.
    Ken Springer

George Bernard Shaw

The 2.0 beta has been working fine for me so far, however there have been a few threads with issues people have seen, most are tagged in some sort for it. One thing to note though is there is not (currently) migration of data from 1.0 to 2.0 so you will need to re-set up all your accounts in 2.0. Since you are running on a mac you should be able to have both 1.0 and 2.0 installed, not sure about running at the same time though.

Check out Microsoft to open up Outlook .PST data format for a bit more details on that if you want.