Thread: Moving messages from Inbox to a folder

Post Moving messages from Inbox to a folder

About the only thing I have found about Zimbra Desktop that I don't like is the following: On all other mail clients I have used over the years (Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Evolution, etc.), when you have multiple IMAP accounts, you can move or copy a message from one account's Inbox to a folder in another account. As far as I can tell, ZD only lets you move or copy to folders on the same IMAP server that has the Inbox in question. I hope I have simply missed something, but if this is possible, could someone please let me know how it works?

Why would I want to do something like that? Well, for instance, I teach at a university and my incoming mail comes to an Exchange server, which I can access using ZD. I get personal mail on several other servers (a personal business account, a personal friends/family account, another account that I use for things like online ordering, etc. Often, some mail item that arrives on one inbox has been sent to me on the "wrong" server (e.g. a student gets my personal email and sends me something there that I really want to file on the University server's file system). I set up long-term filing systems on each server to store items relevant to that context, and don't want to jumble it all together in one place or one file system. I don't want to store mail locally either, since I live a mobile life and need to be able to access anything, anywhere.

So given that I have this kind of weird system, I have had no difficulty implementing it on other email clients, but ZD, which I like much better than the others in almost every way, can't seem to do what I need. Suggestions?

Thanks!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You don't say which version of ZD you're using but ZD 2 Beta 2 has a 'unified' Inbox that shows all your mail in one place - that gives you a view of all your email. For the functionality you are describing, that's also available in ZD 2 beta 2 - why don't you give it a try - details in the Announcement in the ZD forums. Please make sure you read the FAQ and the necessity to uninstall the current ZD 1.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You don't say which version of ZD you're using but ZD 2 Beta 2 has a 'unified' Inbox that shows all your mail in one place - that gives you a view of all your email. For the functionality you are describing, that's also available in ZD 2 beta 2 - why don't you give it a try - details in the Announcement in the ZD forums. Please make sure you read the FAQ and the necessity to uninstall the current ZD 1.
    I just downloaded Desktop a couple of weeks ago (Linux) but I don't know how to get it to tell me what version I am running... I'll take a look at the beta; I suspect that is not what I am currently running...

Thanks

JEH

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarlow View Post
    I just downloaded Desktop a couple of weeks ago (Linux) but I don't know how to get it to tell me what version I am running... I'll take a look at the beta; I suspect that is not what I am currently running...
    I doubt you're using the beta if that functionality isn't there, the download link for the beta is only in the Announcement posting.. Assuming you're using linux(?) there's a small 'gear wheel' in the bottom right of the GUI, click on that and the About ZD is in there - it's also in the filename that you have downloaded.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.