Thread: Remote Wipe

Hybrid View

Default Remote Wipe

G'Day All,

I have heard about this for mobile devices. But a client had this use case.

"We fire a person, web based we can change password and lock em out. What about if they use Zimbra desktop?"

Now, I KNOW that people can pop or imap (unless we turn that off) and smart people can also have forwarded and have copies of data, yadda, yadda, yadda.

For the normal non tech person - they want to know if after a password is changed - will the Zimbra client still load and allow access to cached data?

And is there a way to allow the client to still connect and force a wipe? Even if it is a manual thing like moving all data to a new account and leaving the old account active with the password untouched - so when the user next logs in..... bang.

Would also be nice for stuff like lost laptops, etc..

Cheers,
    RF.

Not at the moment, but those types of things have been discussed as part of:
    Bug 40735 - require password at startup for zdesktop for zcs accounts
    Bug 27005 - Use master password to protect all other passwords
    To be effective needs Bug 14713 - encrypt offline messages
    Bug 41849 - Allow Zimbra Desktop to be managed via central server administration
    Bug 18842 - New COS for Desktop Client to prevent sync
    Bug 37606 - Make Zimbra Desktop respect 'application' COS settings on ZCS Server

If it's a smooth leave, for now cloning the account then running an emptyFolder on / is about the only option; there's also an RFE to show recent history for an account (ip/type) so you wouldn't have to search for ZD sessions in the log etc.

OK. Had one client meeting today - offline was nice - not for offline per se - but offline that DIDN'T involve outlook. This remote wipe is jsut a "that'd be cool" option now.

What is more important is that COS, themes, features and the like are consistent on the desktop client as they are with the policies set on the server....

I haven't read the above threads yet - but this would surprise me if it isn't the case already...