Thread: Simple Single-User Outlook Import?

Default Simple Single-User Outlook Import?

I've installed Zimbra Desktop Service on a new Windows 7 machine, and can access new POP3 emails in this way. I've kept a series of several email accounts in Outllook on an old machine (two current accounts and 6-8 that are no longer in use). The emails go back about 8 years. For migration, I've created current *.pst files, but get stuck in the jargon of what to do next.

This thread sounds helpful, but ends up being completely baffling: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...d-outlook.html.

It's baffling because:

"Downloads are on your server" - don't have one of those.

"log into your Zimbra Administration Console" - this doesn't seem to be a part of Zimbra Desktop Service.

Beyond all this, the purpose of Zimbra seems to be for enterprise-wide, multi-user systems. When I look at the downloads page, nothing jumps out as a basic, single-user application: Zimbra - Compare Products

Questions, stemming from the above:

Can Zimbra easily be used for such a single-user, one time migration of multiple (mostly historical) Outlook emails from one user's Outlook?

If so, how would I proceed?

Or, am I better off just sticking with Outlook?

Thanks in advance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JV_Outlook View Post
    This thread sounds helpful, but ends up being completely baffling: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...d-outlook.html.

It's baffling because:

"Downloads are on your server" - don't have one of those.

"log into your Zimbra Administration Console" - this doesn't seem to be a part of Zimbra Desktop Service.
    The Migration Wizard is part of the Zimbra Collaboration Suite which is, as you've already seen, an 'enterprise collaboration suite which consists of a mail server and lots of other feature and components for managing the mail and users.

The Wizard is not for use with anything other than ZCS. To import your mail into Zimbra Desktop you will need to connect your Outlook client to an IMAP mail server (such as gmail) and upload the mail to that. When that's complete you'll need to connect ZD to that mail account and download the mail into your ZD - I'd suggest you use IMAP for this and leave the mail on an external server for backup.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds a bit impractical. I've got about 2 GB of PST files. Would be much easier to put that on a thumb drive and move the files than to:

Create a new IMAP gmail account on my old computer.
    Sync with my local machine (upload everything).
    Download everything back onto my computer.
    Close the gmail account.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, I'm still contemplating this. This would seem to be a good guide to the Outlook => Gmail transition step.

Upload your Outlook Emails to GMail ? Dave Writes