Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimlets

Question Zimlets

I apologize but I've searched the forum and the web and the Zimbra wiki and it's probably because I am searching for the wrong terms.

I've used Zimbra in the past and due to need of specifics I thought I'd come back give it another whirl.

I noticed Zimlets and downloaded one and unzipped file but nothing is happening .. so I take it there is a process can someone explain to me how to apply Zimlets.

Thanks

You neednt unzip any zimlet-files.

Just go to your AdminConsole and
    1) upload the whole zimlet.zip file
    2) flush cash
    3) activate zimlet in user account

Hello Mike,
    Can you be a bit more specific? I don't see an AdminConsole anywhere!

I am using Zimbra Desktop 1.0.4 build 1833

Quote Originally Posted by firemike View Post
    You neednt unzip any zimlet-files.

Just go to your AdminConsole and
    1) upload the whole zimlet.zip file
    2) flush cash
    3) activate zimlet in user account

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryAngel View Post
    Can you be a bit more specific? I don't see an AdminConsole anywhere!
    You won't see it as it's a feature of the Zimbra Collaboration Suite which is where you've posted this question, I'll move it to the correct forum.

I am using Zimbra Desktop 1.0.4 build 1833
    I'd suggest you try the ZD 2 RC1 and read some of the articles/threads on the subject: site:zimbra.com +desktop +zimlets - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You won't see it as it's a feature of the Zimbra Collaboration Suite which is where you've posted this question, I'll move it to the correct forum.

I'd suggest you try the ZD 2 RC1 and read some of the articles/threads on the subject: site:zimbra.com +desktop +zimlets - Yahoo! Search Results
    Thanks for moving to appropriate location....Why so vague on how to install them? I appreciate you directing me but its to several very unclear post that still doesn't just answer the question.

NO offense to you but its kinda a turn off not to be able to just apply the service so I can move on...If I cannot find a solid answer I guess I'll just use another provider. No one wants to work this hard for results.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Thanks for moving to appropriate location....Why so vague on how to install them? I appreciate you directing me but its to several very unclear post that still doesn't just answer the question.
    Well, two clicks will get you to the page in the wiki that describes how to build and how to deploy Zimlets. Did you actually look at any of the links on that search? The fifth one down gives you this page:

ZCS 6.0:Zimlet Developers Guide Dev Environment Setup
    NO offense to you..
    I usually find that sort of comment means exactly the opposite of what it states.

but its kinda a turn off not to be able to just apply the service so I can move on...If I cannot find a solid answer I guess I'll just use another provider. No one wants to work this hard for results.
    How hard can it be to click on a couple of links?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I read the wiki on how to deploy and build .. but it seem's geared towards building so I moved on. I'm not trying to build anything just use the service.

No offense... meant just that I get you are trying to be helpful and appreciate it. It just seems everyone is so vague. I'm not a newbie to computer use and I'm also not a pro at doing stuff like this. It just seems to be such a HUGE turn off to someone whom wants to try and use the service and its so complicated.

What happened to click here click here and go!?

I spent hours and hours last night after reinstalling to try and figure it out read through many materials searched wiki the forum and even google search thinking just maybe someone had a simple plan of attack or answer to how to use them and NOTHING ... its all full of pluff and complicated work abouts.

I appreciate your efforts!

Ivory Angel, I think everyone here was trying to be helpful.

However, I do understand it can be frustrating in general when something that seems trivial to someone else is actually less than clear. Equally, those trying to help can become frustrated when their seemingly clear advice appears not to be followed (or understood). I think there is often a huge leap between those with a modicum of experience in IT, developers etc... and the majority of lay users.

In any event, I share your view that for the majority of users, the process of deploying/undeploying a zimlet is unwieldy (actually until Zimbra Desktop 2 it was much worse!), and having to rely upon a site search and a wiki page doesn't cut it for most people, indeed many users would get lost on the way.

Fortunately, Zimbra Desktop 3/Helix will (hopefully) have a means of searching and installing Zimlets direct via the interface (including being able to choose them from the Zimbra Gallery without having to leave Zimbra webclient/Desktop!

Vote/subscribe here to follow that feature request:
    Bug 48853 – Add zimlet add/remove control and gallery integration

If you are using Zimbra Desktop 2 (preferably RC), then to deploy a zimlet:

1. Ensure you are using Zimbra Desktop 2 (preferably Release Candidate) - as suggested by Phoenix.

2. Find and download the zimlet you want form the Zimbra Gallery (at http:/gallery.zimbra.com ) or get it from another source (but be sure of the veracity of the file).

3. Each zimlet is available as a .zip file. Download the zip file to a convenient place on your computer (i.e. your Desktop).

4. Run Zimbra Desktop.

5. Click on the 'Preferences' tab.

6. Click on 'Zimlets' listed under 'All Accounts' in the left-hand panel.

7. Under 'Install a Zimlet' click browse.

8. In the dialogue box that follows, select the .zip file you downloaded.

9. Click 'Upload File'. Zimbra will install and deploy the zimlet. You should receive a 'success' message.

10. Check that the zimlet is 'ticked' in the list (zimlets can be ticked/unticked to turn them off/on (this will not uninstall them).

Good luck!

Storm, thanks for your information this was very clear without decryption, as a matter of fact it should be added to a sticky or something.

Please see my responses in red please!!

If you are using Zimbra Desktop 2 (preferably RC), then to deploy a zimlet:

1. Ensure you are using Zimbra Desktop 2 (preferably Release Candidate) - as suggested by Phoenix. Using 1.0.4 build 1833 can you confirm if this is correct for changes!

2. Find and download the zimlet you want form the Zimbra Gallery (at http:/gallery.zimbra.com ) or get it from another source (but be sure of the veracity of the file). Done!

3. Each zimlet is available as a .zip file. Download the zip file to a convenient place on your computer (i.e. your Desktop). Done!

4. Run Zimbra Desktop. Done!

5. Click on the 'Preferences' tab. Done!

6. Click on 'Zimlets' listed under 'All Accounts' in the left-hand panel. I don't have this option please see link

ScreenShot Zimbra

7. Under 'Install a Zimlet' click browse.

8. In the dialogue box that follows, select the .zip file you downloaded.

9. Click 'Upload File'. Zimbra will install and deploy the zimlet. You should receive a 'success' message.

10. Check that the zimlet is 'ticked' in the list (zimlets can be ticked/unticked to turn them off/on (this will not uninstall them).

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for Your Time

Default No luck with Zimbra Desktop 2

Hey guys,
    I used the instructions listed here but no luck while deploying a zimlet on Zimbra Desktop 2 on Windows 7 64-bit. I also tried out sample zimlets like google translator etc.

It always gives me the same error "upload not found: mail.NO_SUCH_UPLOAD"

Am I missing something?

Here is a bit of the log trace:

com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException: upload not found: 579b4088-d590-4d1e-8ebb-766653a1c07f:1bb91d13-fe34-4a53-b6c8-98cfe49238c1 ExceptionId:btpool0-7:1288794908557:2d0e1942ed795c65 Code:mail.NO_SUCH_UPLOAD ArguploadId, STR, "579b4088-d590-4d1e-8ebb-766653a1c07f:1bb91d13-fe34-4a53-b6c8-98cfe49238c1") at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.NO_SUCH _UPLOAD(MailServiceException.java:257) at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.fetchUploa d(FileUploadServlet.java:231) at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.DeployZimlet.deploy(De ployZimlet.java:116)

Thanks