Thread: How to enter password every time?

Hybrid View

Default How to enter password every time?

Is there any way to make Zimbra NOT store password and have me enter it everytime?
    I searched, found an old thread about this and frankly, I am NOT impressed with the response at that time, chastising the users. No matter how strong you think the encryption is, any time you store a password is one more opportunity for a break compared to no password stored.
    I also searched the Bugs database and one seemed to state that it was addressed/fixed.

I couldn't find an option to do this for Zimbra. Overall, I like Zimbra better than Outlook or Thunderbird, but this one feature is definitely a deal breaker for me.
    Any tips?

Welcome to the forums,

Bug 50653 - Need password prompt for ZDC , for additional security
    Bug 40735 - require password at startup for zdesktop for zcs accounts (Went into a long winded police enforcement suggestion a while back in that one, but it did include ideas for both ZCS and non-ZCS accounts.)
    Bug 27005 - Use master password to protect all other passwords

It's notable that, at least with the new Mac install, it saves your password even after you've uninstalled it. I initially had ZD2 beta4 for a few hours, then the ZD2 RC1 post came out. So I dragged Zimbra Desktop to the Trash, was asked for my system password, and it supposedly uninstalled. Then, when I installed RC1, all my information was still there. I'm sure I could've sorted out just what ZD beta4 left on my system even after uninstalling -- MacOS isn't exactly great about this. But I'd expect uninstall to do the right thing and remove everything and that doesn't seem to be what happened.

Did you remove /Users/name/Library/Zimbra Desktop or /Applications/Zimbra Desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Did you remove /Users/name/Library/Zimbra Desktop or /Applications/Zimbra Desktop?
    I think you're missing the point. It wouldn't have been that hard to find and remove those. But if I uninstall something, I expect passwords and such to be removed. Give me an option to leave that stuff on my system if I decided to reinstall at a later date. If ZD2 on Mac doesn't do that as part of how it wants to uninstall, that should be fixed. ZD1 did (on Mac at least, where there was an explicit uninstaller app).

This sort of thing is why some people don't want to not store their passwords when the app is not in use.
    Last edited by Mojo Jojo; 10-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.