Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem after Windows 7 upgrade

Hybrid View

Unhappy Problem after Windows 7 upgrade

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and now I get a message that I'm unable to access the Zimbra server. Is there any quick fix for this or do I have to re-install Zimbra? If I do have to re-install, will this affect my existing email accounts?

Thanks,
    Tony

You should be able to reinstall without losing account data, by running the install wizard and choosing the repair option. If the Vista->Windows 7 rendered parts of Zimbra Desktop unusable this may be able to correct the problem.

You might also take a look at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop. The zdesktop.log and zdesktop.out log files may give information about what is causing the server not to start correctly.

If reinstall doesn't work, the next thing to try would be a complete removal and fresh install; uninstall ZD and then also delete your user data under C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop before reinstalling. This will obviously cause you to lose any local data; depending on what email services you are using the data will probably still be available on the server.

Angry I have Zimbra backup files...

I backup my computer weekly, so I have Zimbra data that is probably not corrupted. Where do I find email messages, contact info, etc. that resides on my local PC? I can't afford to do a clean install and lose all that data!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jflanigan View Post
    You should be able to reinstall without losing account data, by running the install wizard and choosing the repair option. If the Vista->Windows 7 rendered parts of Zimbra Desktop unusable this may be able to correct the problem.

You might also take a look at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop. The zdesktop.log and zdesktop.out log files may give information about what is causing the server not to start correctly.

If reinstall doesn't work, the next thing to try would be a complete removal and fresh install; uninstall ZD and then also delete your user data under C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop before reinstalling. This will obviously cause you to lose any local data; depending on what email services you are using the data will probably still be available on the server.
    Thanks man, i was having the same issue but i just figured this out
    Last edited by Nathan Fiber; 10-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Nathan Fiber Electrical Engineer

Question Looks like only one option is left...

jflanigan,

I tried the repair option but it wouldn't allow it because the version I'm trying to repair is newer than the version I'm trying to repair it with. I'm not quite sure how that may have happened.

I checked the .log and .out files but the date/time on them is from yesterday before I upgraded to Windows 7. I don't seem to be getting an error report when I try to start Zimbra today.

It seems that a total re-install is my only option left, but don't emails I've opened or saved to folders reside on my local drive? And what about my contacts and calendar entries, won't I lose them too? I can't afford to lose all that data.

Any further info you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Tony

You can make a backup of your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop directory; this is where all your data resides. Then try a complete reinstall; if that works you may be able to replace /sqlite and /store from the backup.
    Last edited by jflanigan; 10-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Lightbulb I was using an older version of Zimbra...

jflanigan,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

I was using an older version of Zimbra and according to your online documentation, my data resides in the /derby, /index and /store sub-directories under Zimbra/zdesktop.

I'm going to copy all those directories to another location as well as using Windows backup then just restore those 3 directories. Just in case I've missed something, I'll have a complete directory tree of my previous install.

I'll let you know how I make out...

Thanks,
    Tony

Thumbs down I'll pay to have this local data restored!!!!

Everything I tried failed.

All my important emails and contact info is in those directories that I've saved.

I'LL PAY TO HAVE IT RESTORED TO ANY FORMAT THAT I CAN IMPORT!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

The standard option would be to use Import/Export in the Preferences menu. This would need to be done from a working copy of ZD which still has your data.

In your case, it sounds like you no longer have access to the system where ZD was running correctly (since you have upgraded it). If you happen to have a way to boot the old Vista system (perhaps you made an image or p2v before the upgrade) then you might be able to try the import/export option.

If you have no way to run the old working ZD instance; those three directories /store, /derby, /index should be all that is needed. Assuming you already have a working copy of Zimbra Desktop 1.0 with no data, you can stop the ZD service (via ZD icon in the system tray and/or through services.msc), replace these directories, and then start ZD.

Question Which the correct sequence?

jflanigan,

Just so I have this correct, after I install a clean copy of ZD 1.0, do I:

1. Start the desktop, add email accounts, stop the service and then replace the directories?
    or
    2. Stop the service, replace the directories first and then start the desktop?

Thanks,
    Tony