Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Zimbra Desktop in Google Chrome

Default Open Zimbra Desktop in Google Chrome

I am running Zimbra Desktop 2.0 Beta 4. When I am on the "accounts / Setup" portion of zimbra desktop, there are several links at the bottom in small print.

One is "open in a web browser." When I click that link, it opens Zimbra Desktop in Google Chrome (my default browser). It is AMAZING how much faster Zimbra Desktop is in Chrome!! Switching between folders is instantaneous as well as switching to "address book" calendar, etc. I have loved Zimbra Desktop 2, and now I love it even more.

My question is, how do I configure it to open in Chrome to begin with? Or is that something I can configure on Chromes side? Or something I can change in the launch of Zimbra desktop.

I have it running on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, and Windows XP Pro. On both platforms Zimbra Desktop with "open in a web browser" is rocket fast (chrome is default on both). I've tried making an application shortcut in chrome however, as soon as I close the original Zimbra Desktop window it no longer works. And clicking the chrome app shortcut on the desktop no longer works either.

So right now I open zimbra desktop go to setup / accounts view, and click open in a web browser, then minimize Zimbra Desktop, and use it in Chrome. If I want it in chrome without the address bar, tabs, favorites, plugins, etc. then in chrome I click "wrench" -> Tools -> Create Application shortcut. This pops it out into it's own window and now it looks just like Zimbra Desktop, except it is exceptionally fast.

Any help would be great, or a way to do it in less steps.

Thanks

Default Interesting...

Following your post, I made the same experience with ZD 2.0 final and Chromium, under Ubuntu 10.10 64bits... and have to admit that ZD truly gets a *HUGE* speed boost when browsed with Chromium!

ZD/Prism almost behaves like it was not local at all, but operating through some old-fashioned 56K modem, when ZD/Chromium behaves like expected for a modern desktop application...

It surprises me: when browsing Zimbra Web Client with Chromium, it is indeed little faster than with Firefox, but certainly not THAT faster.
    What can explain the difference when applied to Zimbra Desktop?

Post Non automatic integration of Google Chrome and Zimbra Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by jabyte View Post

My question is, how do I configure it to open in Chrome to begin with? Or is that something I can configure on Chromes side? Or something I can change in the launch of Zimbra desktop.
    I have one approximation to this problem. If you could work more on this subject and improve it it would be nice.

Here you are:
    Edit ZIMBRADATA\zdesktop.webapp\webapp.js:

E.g.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Configuración local\Datos de programa\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\zdesktop.webapp\webapp.js

Add this function before:
    Code:
    function reloadWebAppIni(iniFile) {
    line.

Code:
    function runChrome() {
      var appRoot = WebAppProperties.getAppRoot();
      var iniFile = appRoot.clone();
      iniFile.append("webapp.ini");
      reloadWebAppIni(iniFile);
      var chromeServer = Cc["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsILocalFile);
      chromeServer.initWithPath("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrador\\Configuración local\\Datos de programa\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe");
      var chromeProcess = Cc["@mozilla.org/process/util;1"].createInstance(Ci.nsIProcess);
      var tmpChrome = "--app=" + '"' + WebAppProperties.uri + '"';
      tmpChrome = "--app=" + WebAppProperties.uri;
      var argsChrome = [tmpChrome];
      chromeProcess.init (chromeServer);
      chromeProcess.run(false, argsChrome, argsChrome.length);

}
    Adapt chromeServer.initWithPath if needed to fit your Windows needs (this needs to be improved so that it is not a magic string).

Now in the same file in the load function we are going to substitute:
    Code:
        if (os == "winnt") {
          window.platform.icon().menu.addMenuItem("quitApp", bundle.GetStringFromName("Quit"), function(){quitApp();});
        }
    with:
    Code:
        if (os == "winnt") {
          window.platform.icon().menu.addMenuItem("quitApp", bundle.GetStringFromName("Quit"), function(){quitApp();});
          window.platform.icon().menu.addMenuItem("runChrome", "Run Chrome", function(){runChrome();});
        }
    (Actually we are only adding a line).

Save webapp.js.

----
    I have noticed that if you do not have any added account you need the Zimbra Desktop window (the original one) to be opened or minimised but not minimised on the system tray.

If you have accounts and you minimise to Zimbra Desktop windows to system tray then you can start Google Chrome.
    -----

And... How does it work?

Right-click on the Zimbra Desktop icon found in the System tray. You will find another option called "Run Chrome".

Click on there and Chrome opens Zimbra Desktop as if it was a web application. If you do not want this behaviour remove the "--app" string.

Please report back if you find some other ways of running Google Chrome. Some ideas:
    * Not having to run zdclient.exe at all?
    * Chrome window is opened automatically

I do not know what it is the Zimbra Desktop engine support of Chrome... so some features might not work as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gorni View Post
    Following your post, I made the same experience with ZD 2.0 final and Chromium, under Ubuntu 10.10 64bits... and have to admit that ZD truly gets a *HUGE* speed boost when browsed with Chromium!

ZD/Prism almost behaves like it was not local at all, but operating through some old-fashioned 56K modem, when ZD/Chromium behaves like expected for a modern desktop application...

It surprises me: when browsing Zimbra Web Client with Chromium, it is indeed little faster than with Firefox, but certainly not THAT faster.
    What can explain the difference when applied to Zimbra Desktop?
    This isn't reallyl all that surprising if you think about it.

Google Chrome has one of the fastest JavaScript engines around. Mozilla Firefox 2.x, 3.x, and 3.5 have some of the slowest JavaScript engines around.

Prism is just a wrapper around Firefox.

Zimbra "advanced/AJAX" web client (aka Zimbra Desktop) is *very* heavy on the JavaScript.

Thus, accessing the Zimbra web client via a browser with a fast JavaScript engine (like Google Chrome, or Firefox 4.0 beta 9+, or Opera) will greatly improve things.

Prism/Firefox 2.x/3.x is just horrible.

It would be nice if there was a way to change Zimbra Desktop to open with a normal web browser. One can probably work up a simple desktop shortcut that points to the ZD port running on localhost, though.
    Freddie

Did this progress for anyone?

I want to be able to run the backend ZDclient but use Chrome as the default browser environment for the UI.

It would be interesting to see how much better average users would respond to the performance increase on ZD with Chrome. Biggest hassle I have with users is that ZD is so sluggish is in comparison with other mail clients and Chrome seems to really improve that with, so far, very few issues.

As it seems Prism development itself is being dropped there must be some decisions going on about how to deliver ZD for the future. Looking around it seems the community doesnt have much of a dialogue on that so is it happening in the depths of VMWare rather than the community?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kevindods View Post
    Did this progress for anyone?
    Haven't you seen my post?

It actually works with my hacks. It is not user friendly but it does work.

Can you please test my hacks and report feedback?

Thank you.

Default Tried the hack...

Tried the hack,as you say not ideal. It worked (once I changed the file under my user folder, no the program files folder).

Main concern is the rotating loading GIF keeps spinning for ages. Not sure if it has finished loading or not. Seems to work but I don't know.

Cannot say I am going to use this hack, but it would be great if Zimbra added this functionality properly.

Default Solution for Linux!

Hi

I have found a working solution on a blog from the-daver.com. I have asked if he minds it being posted here, as it may be of great use.

Simple short script that starts the backend and launches a chrome app style window with no need for the original GUI to launch.

Might help Windows users to find a solution too.

Post Solution for Mac OS!

Thank you kevinods for the Gnu/Linux finding (I've seen he doesn't mind to be mentioned).

At bTactic we have developed the Zimbra Desktop based on Google Chrome for Mac OS although the hard work recognisement goes for The Daver.

Please make him aware of this alternative version. He might want to integrate the two versions into one. (Not going to get a twitter or posterous account any time soon).

Not sure when but I will try to revisit my windows work on this issue so that we can make Zimbra Desktop based on Google Chrome engine (not as right now that it loads prism client too into memory and you have to close it manually).
    Adrian Gibanel, IT Manager

"be free, be innovative, bTactic"

Av. Balmes, 34 4rt 1a B | Lleida, Spain 25006

www.btactic.com

Yes, just seen that too.

The Daver has also added my changes and created some further improvements and dropped them into:

http://bitbucket.org/dwink/zimbra-noprism

I don't do much Windows stuff these days but if XP will help I have an old VM about to help test any ideas.

Thankfully the old chrome CR/jumping problem is fixed in ZD now, so not only does it work much faster, I cant find any new problems either!