Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZD change user app data store location

Default changing the data store

I followed the above instructions...3 times to make sure I didn't get something wrong, and I can tell you it just doesn't work. Each time I do this, Zimbra Desktop will not start, no matter what I do, and I have to remove it and completely re-install.

I tried the first way, with a new installation and no mail account set up. Didn't work.

Tried the 2nd way, with the registry hack on an already installed mail account, didn't work either.

What I am trying to do is simply change the message store to a central server in our domain so that everyone's mail can get backed up in one single location. (Everyone's person folder on the server, all have H:\whatever) I am researching this as my cheap boss doesn't want to pay for Outlook anymore.

If anyone has any additions, or sees something amiss on these instructions that may be keeping this from working, please chime in an let us know. It seems simple enough, but I just can't get it to happen for me.

Thanks!

Default ZDT change user app data store location

Has no one figured this out yet ? I've tried both posted methods and can't get it to work.

I think the Zimbrateam didnīt know a workarround here.
    It was better to make it to a part in the preferences.

We have gotten this to work but it was a struggle - largely because I know nothing about Visual Basic scripting.

Our first attempt to work around this in a portable, scalable way, was to use folder redirection via a Windows GPO. We redirected AppData(Roaming) to an appropriate place.

Although the redirection worked, Zimbra didn't use it. It insisted on writing data to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local rather than using the roaming folder. We first found that infuriating but then realized this was probably done to accommodate roaming profiles where one would not want the entire Zimbra data copying back and forth every time a user logs in or out! However, it frustrates our attempt to solve that problem through folder redirection.

So, we took the advice to edit the zdrun.vbc script as suggested here but did so in a different place. Instead of changing GetDataRoot, we changed sLocalAppDir as it appears to be used elsewhere, e.g., to create the paths if they are missing. We may be quite wrong here as we really don't know our way around vbs scripts. So, we changed
    sLocalAppDir = oFso.getFolder(oShellApp.Namespace(&H1c&).Self.Pat h).ShortPath
    to
    sLocalAppDir = oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%APPDATA%")

Starting ZDC then failed and running it from the command line told us it could not find the directories. Then we realized there must have been an entry in the registry from the previous attempt. Sure enough, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop had DataRoot set to the old directory and Zimbra Desktop\Prism had OverridePath set to the old directory.

We deleted those keys, restarted, and we appear to now be writing all the data to the redirected folder.
    www.spiritualoutreach.com
    Making Christianity intelligible to secular society

Default Mklink utility to change Zimbra data location

Quote Originally Posted by zmchina View Post
    If you use Windows vista or Windows 7, you may use mklink utlity.
    I will appreciate if someone can give actual example and usage of the mklink command to change the data location for Zimbra 7.1.2 from the default

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\

to

D:\Zimbra\

Both C and D are different internal physical hard disk drives.

ezu : you can see my reply on this link : http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...al-folder.html

Talking I've found easy way.

I've found a easy way.

Right after Install. DO NOT START ZD.
    and modify a 'zdrun.vbs' in C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32

Just change a value : 'sLocalAppDir'

in my case : sLocalAppDir = "d:\Zimbra_email"

and FINISH.

start ZD. and you will find what you want.

Default None of this works at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Inshik1028 View Post
    I've found a easy way.

Right after Install. DO NOT START ZD.
    and modify a 'zdrun.vbs' in C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32

Just change a value : 'sLocalAppDir'

in my case : sLocalAppDir = "d:\Zimbra_email"

and FINISH.

start ZD. and you will find what you want.
    I'm glad this works for you. It didn't for me. I just spent hours trying this and variations of the above with the latest version, 7.1.4, and none of these "workarounds" work at all. I tried changing the registry location, including using the DOS 8.3 pathname, changing the location in the vbs file, etc. No matter what, the data all goes to the default location, which is the last place anyone would want it, since a system crash would wipe it out. If I copied the data to a new location, it would get erased upon startup and then the program quit and would not start again. So I see, support for this product is still the same--non-existent. I see nothing but speculation by users and developers. No real solutions. No real knowledge about the product. Changing the default data location to a different location should be a trivial operation IMO. It is just a standard option in almost any software I have ever installed. A no-brainer. Why would it possibly be this difficult that a whole thread is dedicated to it with no useful information about how to do it? Is there ANYONE here who actually knows the answer to this seemingly simple question?

It's been a while since I looked at this but, if I recall correctly, the default location does make sense; it just didn't make sense for us. The idea is to keep it out of the roaming profile so that a user's 3GB mailbox does not try to transfer across a WAN connection every time they connect. That is why it uses local profile storage.

In our case, we wanted the profile is stored on a server local to the RDS so that was not a problem.

Could it be that you had run the installation before making the changes? We had to make the changes and then run the installation and it has worked fine for us. We are still a little distressed at just how much of a Desktop only client ZDC is, meaning there is very little by way of Enterprise management. Good luck - John
    www.spiritualoutreach.com
    Making Christianity intelligible to secular society

Quote Originally Posted by gracedman View Post
    It's been a while since I looked at this but, if I recall correctly, the default location does make sense; it just didn't make sense for us. The idea is to keep it out of the roaming profile so that a user's 3GB mailbox does not try to transfer across a WAN connection every time they connect. That is why it uses local profile storage.
    I see. Well the point I was making is that you wouldn't really want the data stored on the same disk as the OS, which is where the default location is, at least for Windows, because if it crashes, you lose all data.

Could it be that you had run the installation before making the changes? We had to make the changes and then run the installation and it has worked fine for us.
    I don't quite follow you here. How can you change the data location BEFORE you install? There is nothing yet to change until you install, not run. Did you mean run? I tried installing and then creating the folder at the desired location before running anything, and changing the registry setting and/or the location in the vbs file but that didn't work. It seems that you got it working. Can you give a somewhat detailed description of exactly what you did to get it working? That would be very valuable to everyone concerned.