Thread: A general note (or rant) on the quality of zd2

Default A general note (or rant) on the quality of zd2

I just submitted my fifth major bug concerning zd2 and there's more to come once we are actually able to track some of them down.

I am eagerly awaiting the day where zd has reached a level of quality so i can actually recommend it to some of my clients.

Currently i am somewhat disappointed in zd2, its beta quality at best, nowhere near rc or rtm for that matter.

It has quite a few fundamental flaws, only one of the bugs i reported as been fixed, a second bug has been assigned but delayed until Helix, the other three have received no love whatsoever.

Somewhere on the bugtracker i read that 2.0.1 is scheduled for the beginning of december, meanwhile every person that wants to have a look at zimbra is offered a totally broken mail client.

Where am i going with this? Aside from the desire to actually rant i really don't get where this is heading.
    In order to actually sell or recommend a product to clients i really need to have that warm fuzzy feeling that this product is decently maintained and that its development is going somewhere.

Currently it feels like zd is maintained by 3 people which tend to add useless features like zimbra social and date highlighting (ok that has been in for ages) instead of fixing bugs and getting a 2.0.1 which fixes major flaws out quickly.

Do you actually have a plan where zd is going or is it just "random marketing guy has a retarded idea and forces devs to code it" field?

And while you are at it: PLEASE fix the licensing dilemma and make yourself interesting to the smb market by allowing non crippled licenses to <25 user groups.

I do really hope this does resolve in the near future, the world needs a decent exchange replacement with a working multi-platform client.

Thanks for your honest feedback. Although I don't agree with you in terms of how ZD is managed and maintained, it's always good to hear that there are users from the community actually care about the product as much as we do.

We have a process here for dealing with every single bug users report to us. Our QA first tries to reproduce the issue. If confirmed, they will assign the bugs to developers. The developers will then work with project manager to categorize the bugs and schedule them.

If you could give me the list of bugs you've filed recently, I can double check and make sure we did not drop the ball anywhere.

The company is fully committed to the development of this product. We will for sure get more resource in the near future, which should speed things up more.

Thx for your feedback

My Bugs are:
    52778 (while extremly difficult to reproduce since it happens before the debug window has a chance to open it is by far the most annoying as it takes up to 10 min to actually start it)

52855 (not that critical but still a major malfunction)

52842 (can be worked around but still leaves me looking like a retard when i have to explain my customers how to work around it)

30643 (its old and i really hoped for zd2 to deal with that, the looking like a retard applies here as well)

53161 (QA should really have got this one, just like the signature umlaut bug that is fixed by now)

What leaves me a bit lost atm is the fact that there is a serious lack of communication and the fact that the release cycles are way to long.

-ZD1 not working on Win7 and forcing users to run beta for example
    -pm.zimbra.com lists no ETA for 2.0.1, i just read it somewhere on bugzilla
    -the total lack of mentioning xmpp support in zimbra, it took me 18 month to discover it by accident.

These are just random examples i can think of without digging to deep in my brain.
    I think my wishes boil down to more communication and faster fixes for really urgent bugs (or asking for more feedback where required).

Thx for your time
    Last edited by turbomettwurst; 11-15-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Hi,

I just voted for 52778. I have the same issue in my fedora 13 laptop.

...and, also, you listed 52842 twice, but I'm sure you meant to reference a different bug/rfe.

cheers

thx, i fixed it.
    as for 52778, i have not been able to reproduce it, have you?

edit: and while we are at it; one more: 53228
    production quality here we come :P
    Last edited by turbomettwurst; 11-15-2010 at 07:34 AM.

and more:
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=53373
    production quality, right....