Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Zimbra Desktop as default mail client in XP/Vista/Win 7

Hybrid View

Default Setting Zimbra Desktop as default mail client in XP/Vista/Win 7

Can Zimbra Desktop be registered as the default mail client in XP/Vista/Win 7 so that commands such as "start mailto" work? We are migrating from Outlook Express. I have an application that uses quite a few instances of the "start mailto <email address>". All those links will break if I can't set the default email client to ZD. I am running the latest version.

Thanks.

Yes it can. Just tick the check box "Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail application" on tab Preferences.

Except in Windows 7 Pro 64bit. IT DOESN'T WORK! And it still doesn't work in 2.01 either. Get "unable to load configuration file" error.
    Last edited by myriad; 12-12-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Not working for me in Win7 Enterprise 64bit. "Use Zimbra Desktop as default mail app" is grayed out.

Anyone get this resolved?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by craftedpacket View Post
    Anyone get this resolved?
    Have you tried the solution posted above and does it work for you?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have it working with a modified version of these instructions. ZD was already set as the default mail application under ZD preferences but it wasn't working. In the Win7 control panel default it also never appeared as a program option and was never associated to mail.

What I did was clear out all the values in the first section (registry mailto), closed the registry editor, then went into ZD and set it as the default mail application (the checkbox had unchecked itself). I then checked the registry and the registry mailto section now had Zimbra values populated. Also the Win7 CP defaults now have ZimbraDesktop listed.

Without restarting, Firefox is opening ZD correctly. This is Win7 64bit.

BTW in craftedpacket's solution he just missed out "Software" in the registry but I didn't need to touch this. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Clients>Mail

Quote Originally Posted by markpr View Post
    I have it working with a modified version of these instructions. ZD was already set as the default mail application under ZD preferences but it wasn't working. In the Win7 control panel default it also never appeared as a program option and was never associated to mail.

What I did was clear out all the values in the first section (registry mailto), closed the registry editor, then went into ZD and set it as the default mail application (the checkbox had unchecked itself). I then checked the registry and the registry mailto section now had Zimbra values populated. Also the Win7 CP defaults now have ZimbraDesktop listed.

Without restarting, Firefox is opening ZD correctly. This is Win7 64bit.

BTW in craftedpacket's solution he just missed out "Software" in the registry but I didn't need to touch this. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Clients>Mail
    This worked perfectly for me! Thanks Mark!

Default Resolution for broken Win7ers?

Sorry for updating a long dead thread, however in my experience with mailto: urls failing to open in Zimbra Desktop, I was able to fix the problem by updating

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Associations\UrlAssociations\mailto\UserChoice
    "Progid"="Thunderbird.Url.mailto"
    To:
    "Progid"="ZimbraDesktop.Url.mailto"
    Originally, even after setting Zimbra Desktop as the default through the preferences, this stayed as Thunderbird.Url.mailto.

Manually updating it resolved my issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bens750 View Post
    Sorry for updating a long dead thread, however in my experience with mailto: urls failing to open in Zimbra Desktop, I was able to fix the problem by updating

To:

Originally, even after setting Zimbra Desktop as the default through the preferences, this stayed as Thunderbird.Url.mailto.

Manually updating it resolved my issues.
    +1 Worked for me as well (Win7 64)