Thread: ZD2 vs ZD1: Server vs Local

Question ZD2 vs ZD1: Server vs Local

i'm noticing some differences between zd2 compared to zd1, and am wondering if these differences are "features" or "bugs" or something else.

1. tags: it appears one has to create separate tags for both server side messages and local folders under zd2...and even if the tags are set to be "identical" in terms of name and color between the two tag sets, moving messages from server to local or local to server results in the loss of the tag. shouldn't there be a single universal tag set that can be applied to both server side and local folder messages?

2. search: it appears search only applies to server side messages. while it is possible to search local folder messages, one has to be currently viewing a local folder in order to search it...which pretty much defeats the purpose of a database email system i would say. used to be able to search terms for entire zd1 message store be it server side or local folders with a single search string.

3. local folders: does not appear to be fully recognized by zd2, which may impact #2 above as well. recently moved all mail (~1.8gb) from server to local, tried to respond to a now local message and was informed said message was not valid and did not exist. am now in process of moving all mail back from local to server despite my 2gb server side limit.

am seriously considering downgrading back to zd1. zd2 seems to be faster in most respects, has improved appearance (although still only looks like a native app in java-land), but the functionality seems to be broken in many key areas. the new preference tree seems a bit confusing as well...and seems to lead the split between server side and local rules.

any words of wisdom or commentary to contradict the above and/or point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

i downgraded t zd v1.04 again. couldn't find a workaround for the problems noted above, each one was a deal breaker for using zd v2.0.

i have at least become skilled at nuking zd2 before downgrading to zd1 after several instances of having to do so...

same problems in v2.01. plus the import of v1.x messages fails miserably. out of some 8gb of messages, less than 500mb was imported. i have messages from 12/2001 - today, organized by monthly mailboxes, and of those, only a couple of years had any messages imported, and was not able to get a single complete month for any year to import. i had high hopes for this when vmware bought out yahoo!, but those hopes are fading fast. this stuff seems pretty basic, so how is it that it survives how many alpha and beta releases and two official releases?

same problems in v7.0 beta 1. v7.0 looks much better, but same functionality problems remain.