Thread: Folders and Filters

Default Folders and Filters

Ok, so I might not exactly understand how this all works. I have a POP3 account created and successfully sending and receiving mail. Now, I want to create subfolders under that account and then use filters to automatically file messages there. First, I am having all kinds of trouble creating subfolders. I have been able to create none under the POP3 account. I have been able to create some under the Local Folders section (although I have to create them under a sub-folder and then move them to the "root" level). Now, when I try to create a filter and select file under the action, I don't have anything under the local folders as an option including my newly created sub-folders. What am I missing and how am I supposed to accomplish this VERY simple task?

I really don't want the messages filed under the "local folders" option. I would rather them stay under each POP3 account if possible.

I so desperately want to move from Thunderbird to Zimbra Desktop, but I don't see anyway possible if this can't be accomplished.

Thanks

POP3 servers only have 1 folder: inbox.

When you fetch your mail from a POP3 server, it is downloaded to your local harddrive, and stored under your Local Folders.

That's the nature of POP3.

If you want folders on the mail server, and the mail to stay on the mail server, you need to use IMAP.
    Freddie

Yeah, I understand how the POP3 works. I guess I didn't make myself too clear. I don't want the folders on the email server, I just want the client to display them under that specific POP3 account. I am used to Thunderbird, which you can have subfolders under the actual account section. Those are still stored on my local hard drive, but they are under that POP3 account within Thunderbird and not under "Local Folders".

Anyway, when Zimbra is retrieving mail, it retrieves it to inbox under that POP3 account. I want to use filters to file the messages to subfolders. When I try to create a filter, and for the action select "file into folder" and browse, then there is nothing listed under "local folders" where my subfolders are. The only options are Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Outbox, and Trash.

So, I can't create folders where the browse button takes me, and I can't move them to the local folders section. I have to be missing something. Any help would be much appreciated.

Plus, when Zimbra retrieves email from the mail server and puts it into Inbox under that specific POP3 section, it has already pulled it from the server and stored it on my harddrive, so there must be an inbox on my harddrive. If that is the case, then why can't I create subfolders at the same level as Inbox that are stored on my harddrive.

Sorry for what might be stupid questions....

Ok, another update that will probably work for me. For some reason, now I am able to create subfolders under inbox under the POP3 account in the client (still stored on my harddrive). This allows me to apply the filters in inbox and move to appropriate subfolder. Not sure why I can do this now, but it will work.

Still strange to me that I can't move them to local folders section.....