Thread: imap folder problem

Default imap folder problem

Hi there, I'm using ZD with Courier IMAP provided by a hosting service. I've had unending trouble with this using Thunderbird to the point where I've ditched tbird after 10 years. Zimbra looked like an excellent alternative....however!
    What I'm now seeing in ZD is that every time I make a new folder e.g. 'docs' I end up a few seconds later with another one called 'docs-1'. This is reproducible, it happens every time.

Furthermore (it is now a few minutes later) if I delete the 'folder-1' copy, the original disappears a while later! What on earth is going on here???

Is this a known problem? I had a quick search in the forums and didn't find anything about this. I'll run some more tests and post again.

MrChuck
    Last edited by MrChuck; 02-18-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Default imap folders: also broken in zimbra

Following on from the above:

1. I create a folder 'test'
    2. A while later, presumably after an automatic sync, folder 'test-1' appears.
    3. If I delete test-1, it goes to Trash
    4. If I empty the trash, a while later test folder disappears too.

I don't regard this as being usable in its current state. Back to Horde webmail I guess (yecchh).

There appears to be a real problem with Courier and (many) IMAP clients, but I'm not in a position to change the hosted mail software.

MrChuck

Default imap folder problem--conclusion

Solved for me but not for you maybe--read on!

It took several days to piece this together. Turns out the issue with tbird is configuration. I'm using Courier imap as part of Plesk. This enforces a limit of 4 connections per IP address, which collides with tbird's default of 5, used for folder caching and so on. When I lowered concurrent connections to <= 4, problems went away and it is rock solid.

So why mention this on a zimbra forum? Well, ZD otherwise is an excellent client except for this issue, which is a deal-breaker for me but may not be for you. If the devs add a way to interact correctly with Courier/Plesk, control concurrent connections and watch out for folder namespace manipulation by the server (Courier sets the context to INBOX.), that'd be grand and there'd be two completely viable alternatives to microsatan available. And I am all in favour of that.

Also the http signature thing is a pain in butt and should be fixed up or better still done away with, but that I could live with all else being equal.

hi, is ur test folder under inbox or at the same level as inbox ? could you try zd 7.0 beta. if still encounter this, you can file a bug at Log in to Bugzilla