Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping email locally

Thanks for getting back to.
    My problem is that yahoo for some reason deleted all my inbox emails and when ZD synced it deleted all my yahoo emails as well from ZD. I thought it is called DESKTOP because it keeps a local copy on the desktop. Evidently it does NOT.

Default I agree

I agree that calling this a desktop program is somewhat misleading. It is a desktop program only in the sense that we can look at our email while not on the internet. For a limited time only.

A guy at my ISP says it's more like a mirror of what's on the server. He may have that right. I quit asking him for help because he wants me to forget Zimbra and try programs I don't like. The person on this list who tried to help does not believe Zimbra desktop could be involved in deleting email from the server. But if I set my default to Zimbra, more mail disappears faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Landis View Post
    1. I DO have a ZD account now and those are actually IMAP. I am contemplating starting over as a POP account, because my ISP thinks this will fix everything. IMAP is like a mirror in this context. But I have to kill the ZD account before I do that. ZD cannot have two accounts pulling on the same email. There is some concern about having two POPs active, as in a new ZD POP and Outlook. I do NOT use Outlook Express. My ISP probably told me to do POP years ago. If I switched it I might lose my local cache?

2. I have checked Z Web UI filters and there are none. I think my ISP checked earlier. There is no hacking. I can create the results in controlled experiments: Outlook can be set to yank mail from server in x days. I check and it happens in x days plus 2-3 hrs. ("It" being mail disappears from ZD inbox and server.) Then I switch default email to ZD. Many more emails disappear immediately, from both ZD inbox and server, because ZD has a shorter number of days set somewhere. Just not where I can adjust it to my needs.

3. My goal is for ZD to allow a local cache I can keep indefinitely, like Outlook, w/o moving any messages until I feel like it. I get so much email that moving it every day is a chore. Perhaps I just have to automate that.
    ZD doesn't have retention feature so far, so it won't delete your mails after x days. We plan to have an archiving feature that will automatically move your mails from whatever folder to your local folder (won't be synced with server).

Any time line on that change? It would help me a lot.

I may never unravel what is deleting my messages (when I pull Outlook out of the lineup), but I could allow it to happen if I had a good archiving feature. Then I could let Zimbra be my default email program and say goodbye to Outlook altogether.

Ahm just to clarify - Desktop isnt nessesary wrong Term.
    Only thing is you (and looks like not even your Provider) isnt relaly familiar with Groupware Products

No matter if oyu use Lotus Notes/Exchange-Outlook or Zimbra
    At the Moment you use a Groupware System your Account will never be like an POP Account

Its always a Mirror - This is the case even in outlook when connecting to exchange - and that the way todo it

Also that your Provider mean that POP3 is the solution sounds a bid Odd - isnt that a backstep (huge one)?

I think their hotline just wanna get rid of that suport case asap hehe...

No there 2 Possibilities why this happen
    1 - one of your Mailprogramms uses pop3 and delete those Messages
    2 - your isp delete automatically mails after xxx Days - actually zimbra got this feature - usually only used for trash and spam box to purge but it can be set for inbox too

So what you should tryout is -
    First change your password - so you make shure you didnt forgot about any mailclient could access your account - or even another person

Second set ZDesktop account to Zimbra and Sync your box
    If mail still dissapear its very likly your ISP do this
    - its also likly that if they got a regular Hotline they dont know about it - you may need a higher Support Level to get answers then

Its worth a try - and forget outloook