Thread: Zimbra Desktop 7.0.1 to 7.1.1 migration

Default Zimbra Desktop 7.0.1 to 7.1.1 migration

I was running ZD 7.0.1 on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit until I experienced what a lot of users have already reported on when sending Yahoo email(s). Out of frustration, I manually downloaded the zimbra desktop 7.1.1 (build 10917) "zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686.tgz" file and hoped the Yahoo issue has been fixed.

So, I backed up my existing zdesktop folder manually just in case something happens:

:~$ pwd
    /home/myname
    :~$ cp -pR zdesktop zdesktop-bkup-08302011
    :~$ du zdesktop -h -s
    247MB
    :~$du zdesktop-bkup-08302011 -h -s
    247MB

I now extract the downloaded tgz file to my home folder:

:~$ tar -zxf /home/myname/Downloads/zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686.tgz

Then cd to the new folder that was just created:

:~$ cd zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686

Now I run the install script ("install.pl") and accepted all the default folder paths:

:~$ sudo ./install.pl

Welcome to Zimbra Desktop setup wizard. This will install Zimbra Desktop on your computer.
    ------------------------------
    Press enter to continue:

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE. VMWARE INC. WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.

License Terms for this Zimbra Collaboration Suite Software: Zimbra - Zimbra Public End-User License Agreement, Version 2.3

(A)ccept or (D)ecline [A]: A

Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]:

Installing application files...done

You have finished installing application files.

Would you like to continue to install data files for user: root?
    (Y)es or (N)o [N]: N

To install data files for additional users, please login as the user and run this command:
    /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/user-install.pl

When I ran the "user-install.pl" as the user I want, the install script created a new folder called "zd_backup" in /home/myname and a new "zdesktop" (12MB) folder also in the /home/myname. The script just blew away and overwrote existing user profiles and data in /home/<userdir>/zdesktop folder with the new version!!!

Thank goodness I made a backup!

Question:

What is the official migration (or workaround) to migrate zimbra desktop 7.0.1 user data to zimbra desktop 7.1.1 from the backup I made (/home/myname/zdesktop-bkup-08302011)?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by medicaldiamonds View Post
    I was running ZD 7.0.1 on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit until I experienced what a lot of users have already reported on when sending Yahoo email(s). Out of frustration, I manually downloaded the zimbra desktop 7.1.1 (build 10917) "zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686.tgz" file and hoped the Yahoo issue has been fixed.
    If you'd read the threads on this problem you'd have seen it isn't fixed until the release of ZD 7.1.2.

What is the official migration (or workaround) to migrate zimbra desktop 7.0.1 user data to zimbra desktop 7.1.1 from the backup I made (/home/myname/zdesktop-bkup-08302011)?
    All you need to do is run the installer for the new release and install it in the same directory(s) as your currently installed version. Taking a backup of your installed ZD directories is always a good idea.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you for the quick reply..

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you'd read the threads on this problem you'd have seen it isn't fixed until the release of ZD 7.1.2.
    OUCH...didn't get to read that far

All you need to do is run the installer for the new release and install it in the same directory(s) as your currently installed version. Taking a backup of your installed ZD directories is always a good idea.
    Which "installer" are you referring to? The application installer ("install.pl")? or the user installer ("user-install.pl"?)?

On my post, I mentioned I did accept the default install path's for the app installation (/opt/zimbra/desktop); and I also accepted the default path for the user installation (/home/myname/zdesktop). The user installation removed the existing /home/myname/zdesktop folder (all 247MB of my existing zdesktop!) and created a new same name folder "zdesktop" that is 12MB in size.

The user installation removed the existing /home/myname/zdesktop folder (all 247MB of my existing zdesktop!) and created a new same name folder "zdesktop" that is 12MB in size.
    If the user directory is installed in the same location as the original install then it doesn't remove the data directory, it hasn't done that on any of the Linux or Windows systems on which I've upgraded ZD.
    Regards

Bill

If the user directory is installed in the same location as the original install then it doesn't remove the data directory, it hasn't done that on any of the Linux or Windows systems on which I've upgraded ZD.
    Well, the OP that started this THIS THREAD experienced the same issue I had: the "user-install.pl" installer overwrote an existing "/home/userhome/zdesktop"

Again, i'm happy I have a backup. The question is: How do I use 7.1.1 to import/migrate all my zimbra mail folders from the backup I made?

Well, the OP that started this this thread experienced the same issue I had: the "user-install.pl" installer overwrote an existing "/home/userhome/zdesktop"
    What can I say, it's never happened to me and there's no reason to think it won't work - I've never seen any evidence (nor exact steps to reproduce and lists of file locations) that it removes files if they've been installed in their standard locations. The instructions for upgrading are here: Zimbra Desktop 7.1 FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

BTW, you don't need to post "this thread" in upper case, I can read and upper case is considered shouting in a forum - it isn't necessary.

Again, i'm happy I have a backup. The question is: How do I use 7.1.1 to import/migrate all my zimbra mail folders from the backup I made?
    If you've exported the email via the wizard the you install the new version and use the import wizard to import the files - it's mentioned in the wiki link I've given you above.
    Regards

Bill

If you've exported the email via the wizard the you install the new version and use the import wizard to import the files - it's mentioned in the wiki link I've given you above.

That's the problem, I did not use the export wizard utility to backup my data. I did a manual backup ( # cp -pR /home/username/zdesktop /home/username/zdesktop-bkup-MMDDYYY) to backup my zdesktop user data.

Is there any other way to use my manually backed up data and import that into ZD 7.1.1?

I just want to update this thread as I feel compelled to post back to the community that my zimbra desktop 7.1.1 for Linux migration to 7.1.2 B10978 for Linux was smoother this time.

The installer script maintained the existing $HOME/zdesktop and $HOME/zd_backup folders.

Again, thank you Zimbra!

Default Thanks

Thanks MedicalDiamonds for your very detailed post and followup.

I saved myself a bit of pain updating my two Linux workstations from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 (which DOES correctly do the SendMessage with Yahoo accounts)

I have been stuck with Webmail for a couple of accounts due to sending Yahoo issues for some months now.

< = happy camper

Now I just have to worry about those Windows users still on ZD v 1.0, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Thanks MedicalDiamonds for your very detailed post and followup.

I saved myself a bit of pain updating my two Linux workstations from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 (which DOES correctly do the SendMessage with Yahoo accounts)
    You're welcome! It is the very least I can do to show my appreciation for the hard work that was put into the free ZD open-source version.