Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unable to launch Zimbra Desktop

Hi Carendall,

First of all, thanks for your help.

I use a laptop at home for my own use and i'm on admin profile. I have checked on command prompt and can tell u that wsh is already enabled. I have wsh v.5.7.

I can tell you that i have tried numerous things with registry entries etc. Nothing works.

The problem, i think, is bigger than that. if you notice there's no one from Zimbra help desk helping out. You can only see members like us trying to help each other. I think people at Zimbra themselves do not know how to fix this. I have checked all the forums on WSH issues and not a single one fixes it. Anyway we need to try and it will hopefully come right one day. In the meantime i'm using my browser.

Hey, sorry what I suggested didn't work; I know I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I couldn't get ZD 2.x or 7.x to work, while 1.x worked fine. Do other versions work on your system at all?

Good luck with your search, and post back here if you find anything out!

Thanks for your concern mate.

The problem comes from the execution of the files. Version 1.x uses a straight exec file whilst other versions has to trigger 2 files in order to launch - the wsh and the exec file. There's a glitch between the two somewhere. I have tried loads of stuffs on the windows side but to no avail, even modifying registry codes, adding syntax to cscript etc nothing works... .

Someday a genius will surely come out with something. Yep i won't miss you if i get my hands on the solution, you can be sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert 12345 View Post
    Thanks for your concern mate.

The problem comes from the execution of the files. Version 1.x uses a straight exec file whilst other versions has to trigger 2 files in order to launch - the wsh and the exec file. There's a glitch between the two somewhere. I have tried loads of stuffs on the windows side but to no avail, even modifying registry codes, adding syntax to cscript etc nothing works... .

Someday a genius will surely come out with something. Yep i won't miss you if i get my hands on the solution, you can be sure of that.
    Yeah, I didn't understand (and still don't, to be honest) the switch from an executable file to running a VBS, but hey, I'm no developer.

No worries, man. Hopefully you can find a solution sooner rather than later.

Default Solved on Win7 64bit

I had the same problem.

I installed Zimbra Desktop on a Win7 64 bit system, and couldn't start it.

The error message it gave was: There is no script engine for file extension ".vbs
    ".

After searching the net, I found this page:

Error "There is no script engine for file extension" when running .vbs files - The Winhelponline Blog

following the directions (registering vbscript.dll, and getting the vbs fix from:
    File Association Fixes for Windows 7 - The Winhelponline Blog ), I managed to start Zimbra Desktop

Note: you should get the file association fix corresponding to your operating system. I used the win7 fix for my Win7 64 bit OS.

Good luck to all of you
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have not uninstalled completely and reinstalled Zimbra for the seventh time. It's still not working (And it was running fine until about two weeks ago.)When Zimbra ran for the first time at the end of the most recent installatioon, I got this message:

[JavaScript Application]
    "Couldn't access Zimbra Desktop server. If issue persists after reinstall, please check logs for error and report to Http://wwwl.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-desktop

The next time I tried to run it, I got the message:

Unable to load config file:""

I'm trying to write a review ot Zimbra, and I don't know what to say it there isn't a way to make it run.

thanks,

ron

Hello Ron,

What version of Windows are you running including SP level. Plus, is it 64 or 32 bit?

Mark

Unhappy You do not have a solution

I am using windows 7 64 bit SP 1. I waited for severals months for a solution. But ZIMBRA never sent it. In the past zimbra was a good idea. But now its not working anymore. I am using MS Outlook right now and deleted ZIMBRA from my laptop. Sorry.

Hi, Mark....
    I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit.
    Are we still on for today or tomorrow for a phone conference on the problem?

ron

There are several different kinds of failures discussed in this thread. It looks like several of them have been solved, so I wanted to summarize them.

There are a wide range of things that can go wrong with Windows (irrespective of Zimbra Desktop), but here is a list of the most common things to check when installation does not work.

- If the install wizard reports 'installation ended prematurely' you may be affected by this bug:
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=64969. A fix will be included in the upcoming ZD 7.1.3 beta; due out before the end of 2011.

- Make sure Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages are installed.
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
    Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

- Make sure WSH is functioning.
    Error "There is no script engine for file extension" when running .vbs files - The Winhelponline Blog

- Check for errors in zdesktop.log and zdesktop.out. These files can be found in the <user data> locations listed below. Errors and/or the complete files can be posted here for help with debugging.

Microsoft Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log

Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log

- Check the Windows event log (under control panel->administrative tools) for errors. The application, system, and security sections may contain script errors or indicate other problems launching ZD.

- Open a command prompt ,cd to C:\Program Files\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32 and then launch 'cscript zdrun.vbs'. Note any error messages which appear on the command line.

- Open a command prompt, cd to <user data>\bin and then launch 'cscript zdctl.vbs stop' followed by 'cscript zdctl.vbs start'. Note any error messages which appear on the command line.