Thread: How can I sync "Sent" folder immediately?

Hybrid View

Default How can I sync "Sent" folder immediately?

Hello all,

My company uses MS Exchange IMAP 2010 server and I use ZDesktop 7.1.2(latest) in Ubuntu 11.10. Sync frequency is every 1 minute.

Today I sent an e-mail before getting out of home and had a feeling that I missed some file in the attachment but found in my workplace that the sent item was not sync'ed with the server.
    I double checked in my home that the mail was certainly moved to the sent folder and I waited 1-2 minutes to ensure it's sync'ed.
    I think the mail was sent actually, as this is not the first time it happened.

So here are my questions:
    1. Is there any way to sync with the Sent folder immediately after sending the e-mail?
    2. Is there an option to include/exclude which folder to be synchronized?

I think immediate-sync feature is useful because it won't create much overhead as it has to be done only once after the mail is sent and ensures that the mail is always sync'ed properly.

1. You can click "Send/Receive" for that account to trigger sending immediately, it's beside the "New" mail button.
    2. You can right click a folder and choose "turn sync off".

Well, I wouldn't have asked if I wanted to know that I can click the send/receive button..
    I don't think it's really useful for a user to always click the send/receive button after sending an e-mail to make sure it's synchronized.

What I think is useful, is to let Zimbra client always sync after sending the e-mail.
    I confirmed that currently the sync is on.

So, how can I make it always sync after sending the e-mail?

Actually I can't think of a reason it's not sending immediately. The sent mail should be in Outbox at first, then goes to Sent. If you always experience it, can you send your log file to me ? It's zdesktop.log under <install>/log, install path is Zimbra Desktop 7 FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hello, thanks for the reply. I had to wait until I experience it again.
    It happened just now so I uploaded the log file on:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2509617/Temp/zdesktop.log

On line 9010, it says "sent pending mail (5841): send test", where "send test" was the title of the e-mail that I just sent.
    On line 9022, it says "Remote folder 'Sent Items': syncing remote folder Sent Items", which looks also normal.
    Soon after, it suspends connection and ~1 minute after it syncs again. My sync interval is 1 minute. So it really should be synchronized by now.

However, even at the time I'm currently writing this (2011-12-14 16:21), I see that "Sent Items" folder is not sync'ed yet with ZDekstop on our exchange server's web-mail access page. It ONLY exists in Zimbra Desktop's "Sent" folder.
    It always syncs correctly if I click the send/receive button manually.

Do you want me to manually press the send/rcv button and send you the log file again?

Thanks for you help.

hmm, if you got "sent pending mail (5841): send test", that indicates the mail has already been sent out. Are you using IMAP for exchange server ?

Yes, specifically I chose "Microsoft IMAP".

Btw, I occasionally receive this error report on ZDestop, about once or twice a day: (Just received one right now.)

Product name: Zimbra Desktop
    Product version: 7.1.2
    Build ID: 10978
    Release type: GA
    OS Platform: Linux i386 3.0.0-14-generic
    Time of event: 2011-12-14 18:05:21
    Error type: UID SEARCH failed: The specified charset is not supported.
    Item ID: 5615
    Error summary: Append message failed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Affected data - PLEASE REMOVE ANY SENSITIVE INFORMATION (size=110):

Local folder: /Sent
    Failed request: C29 UID SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 SUBJECT <literal 72 bytes> SENTON 07-Dec-2011

Failure details - PLEASE REMOVE ANY SENSITIVE INFORMATION

com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.CommandFailedException: UID SEARCH failed: The specified charset is not supported.
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.failed(I mapRequest.java:210)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.failed(I mapRequest.java:206)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.checkSta tus(ImapRequest.java:126)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.sendChec kStatus(ImapRequest.java:112)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.doSea rch(ImapConnection.java:423)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.uidSe arch(ImapConnection.java:408)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapAppender.appendS low(ImapAppender.java:157)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapAppender.append( ImapAppender.java:84)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapAppender.appendM essage(ImapAppender.java:69)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.appen dMsgs(ImapFolderSync.java:584)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.finis hSync(ImapFolderSync.java:434)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.finishSync( ImapSync.java:363)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncFolders (ImapSync.java:236)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:163)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData( ImapSync.java:135)
    at com.zimbra.cs.offline.OfflineImport.importData(Off lineImport.java:100)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:312)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importD ata(DataSourceManager.java:276)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncAllLoc alDataSources(DataSourceMailbox.java:442)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.sync(DataS ourceMailbox.java:480)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncOnTime r(DataSourceMailbox.java:409)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.SyncMailbox$1.run(SyncMailbo x.java:257)
    at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512)
    at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)

I receive this error report on my Windows ZD, too. Maybe it's related?
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit at work and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit at home. Both are English version.

So, any thoughts?