Thread: How can I sync "inbox/sent"folder rather than sent folder

Hybrid View

Default How can I sync "inbox/sent"folder rather than sent folder

After I send a email, the email was store in sent folder. But I want the sent emails to the "inbox/sent" folder, which is sync with the sever.

Quote Originally Posted by zhn View Post
    After I send a email, the email was store in sent folder. But I want the sent emails to the "inbox/sent" folder, which is sync with the sever.
    Any reply to this or will this be the usual absence of help?

I'm in the same situation. Sent messages must go to inbox/sent and not to the local sent, otherwise ZD is useless as a IMAP client.

How did you do that?

Just checked out - sent mail goes to "Sent" folder of the account I sent it from, this was checked on two different IMAP accounts. Sync just don't happens instantly, that's all. Wait until sync period (5 mins in my case) and sent mail will appear in "Sent" folder on the server.

It need not be "Inbox/Sent", but it must be IMAP special folder.

As far as I can see, you can't change special folders via ZD yet, as you can do in Outlook, but if they exist on server, your mail will be synced.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    How did you do that?
    How did I do what? Zimbra not working? It does it by itself.

Just checked out - sent mail goes to "Sent" folder of the account I sent it from, this was checked on two different IMAP accounts. Sync just don't happens instantly, that's all. Wait until sync period (5 mins in my case) and sent mail will appear in "Sent" folder on the server.
    Wrong, at least for 7.1.4 and Courier IMAP. The only way is to set up a rule that puts it in inbox/sent explicitly. My automatic check is every 5 mins and I waited 20 minutes without anything appearing. The tests I did after setting up the rule ended up in inbox/sent but the others, 1 hour after, were still in the local sent.

Wow, this must be secret code because I can't make heads or tails of it.

As far as I can see, you can't change special folders via ZD yet, as you can do in Outlook, but if they exist on server, your mail will be synced.
    No, they will not.

Lucinda, scratch that about special folders, it's not the case, my bad. Don't know what I was thinking.

OK, only workaround that comes to mind is to manually set up mapping for IMAP account in conf/datasource.xml.

You can map accessible folders on sever (INBOX/junk, INBOX/Sent etc.) to ZD folders, and they all will sync OK, with one exception - Drafts folder doesn't sync at all, both ways, whatever you do. Go figure. It was in the Bugzilla somewhere.

There is no user interface for it. Yes, it is in bugzilla too. Quite disappointing, considering pretty good work with Zimbra and POP accounts.

Also just noticed that automatic syncing for that account stopped working. May be related to my mappings done wrong, may be not.

My gmail IMAP accounts syncs OK, as gmail has mappings in datasource.xml
    LotusLive IMAP account too syncs automagically, despite no mappings at all.

It seems that you really do not understand the problem.

There is a sent folder under the inbox folder, so it is inbox.sent or inbox/sent folder. All sent email in the sever are put in this folder. But Any email sent through Zimbra are put into another sent folder which is not sync with the sever. Whenever how long you wait for, all the email you sent never come to the inbox/sent folder and never are uploaded to sever. But thunderbird does.
    So usually I use Zimbra to receive email, but use thunderbird to send email. I am looking for a better email client program to avoid this inconvenient if Zimbra can not solve this problem.

by the way, thunderbird costs too much CPU when it receives email and outlook is very slow.

How did you do that?

hello Zmike
    you mentioned "You can map accessible folders on sever (INBOX/junk, INBOX/Sent etc.) to ZD folders, and they all will sync OK,"

How can I do that?

you need to edit your $ZIMBRA_HOME/conf/datasource.xml

There you'll find mappings for some popular services like Gmail and Yahoo!

You can add your own section here, something like that:

Code:
        <service name="yourdomain.com" saveToSent="true">
            <folder remotePath="INBOX" localPath="/Inbox" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Sent" localPath="/Sent" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Trash" localPath="/Trash" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Junk" localPath="/Junk" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Drafts" localPath="/Drafts" sync="true"/>
            <!-- Not that this last stanza does any good anyway -->
        </service>
    Save, restart ZD, check out for any sync glitches. Don't forget to save backup copy of datasource.xml before you begin hacking it.

You can go to https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23727 and nag developers afterwards

Obviously making a good generic stand-alone mail client out of ZD is not a priority for Zimbra developers, but this issue will bite Web Client users as well as soon as they will add an external IMAP account to their mailbox.

Thanks Zmike, but looks too complicated for me. I hope Zimbra can fix this problem soon.
    I am still looking for a better email client software.

Thumbs up

Thanks ZMike,

voted for it!

After having found the solution on my own, I discovered this thread. Sometimes, it's all about using the right keywords.

See my comment with further information at
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post244408

Regards
    Florian