Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How can I sync "inbox/sent"folder rather than sent folder

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default How can I sync "inbox/sent"folder rather than sent folder

    After I send a email, the email was store in sent folder. But I want the sent emails to the "inbox/sent" folder, which is sync with the sever.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhn View Post
    After I send a email, the email was store in sent folder. But I want the sent emails to the "inbox/sent" folder, which is sync with the sever.
    Any reply to this or will this be the usual absence of help?

    I'm in the same situation. Sent messages must go to inbox/sent and not to the local sent, otherwise ZD is useless as a IMAP client.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    How did you do that?

    Just checked out - sent mail goes to "Sent" folder of the account I sent it from, this was checked on two different IMAP accounts. Sync just don't happens instantly, that's all. Wait until sync period (5 mins in my case) and sent mail will appear in "Sent" folder on the server.

    It need not be "Inbox/Sent", but it must be IMAP special folder.

    As far as I can see, you can't change special folders via ZD yet, as you can do in Outlook, but if they exist on server, your mail will be synced.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    How did you do that?
    How did I do what? Zimbra not working? It does it by itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    Just checked out - sent mail goes to "Sent" folder of the account I sent it from, this was checked on two different IMAP accounts. Sync just don't happens instantly, that's all. Wait until sync period (5 mins in my case) and sent mail will appear in "Sent" folder on the server.
    Wrong, at least for 7.1.4 and Courier IMAP. The only way is to set up a rule that puts it in inbox/sent explicitly. My automatic check is every 5 mins and I waited 20 minutes without anything appearing. The tests I did after setting up the rule ended up in inbox/sent but the others, 1 hour after, were still in the local sent.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    It need not be "Inbox/Sent", but it must be IMAP special folder.
    Wow, this must be secret code because I can't make heads or tails of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    As far as I can see, you can't change special folders via ZD yet, as you can do in Outlook, but if they exist on server, your mail will be synced.
    No, they will not.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Lucinda, scratch that about special folders, it's not the case, my bad. Don't know what I was thinking.

    OK, only workaround that comes to mind is to manually set up mapping for IMAP account in conf/datasource.xml.

    You can map accessible folders on sever (INBOX/junk, INBOX/Sent etc.) to ZD folders, and they all will sync OK, with one exception - Drafts folder doesn't sync at all, both ways, whatever you do. Go figure. It was in the Bugzilla somewhere.

    There is no user interface for it. Yes, it is in bugzilla too. Quite disappointing, considering pretty good work with Zimbra and POP accounts.

    Also just noticed that automatic syncing for that account stopped working. May be related to my mappings done wrong, may be not.

    My gmail IMAP accounts syncs OK, as gmail has mappings in datasource.xml
    LotusLive IMAP account too syncs automagically, despite no mappings at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    It seems that you really do not understand the problem.

    There is a sent folder under the inbox folder, so it is inbox.sent or inbox/sent folder. All sent email in the sever are put in this folder. But Any email sent through Zimbra are put into another sent folder which is not sync with the sever. Whenever how long you wait for, all the email you sent never come to the inbox/sent folder and never are uploaded to sever. But thunderbird does.
    So usually I use Zimbra to receive email, but use thunderbird to send email. I am looking for a better email client program to avoid this inconvenient if Zimbra can not solve this problem.

    by the way, thunderbird costs too much CPU when it receives email and outlook is very slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZMike View Post
    How did you do that?

    Just checked out - sent mail goes to "Sent" folder of the account I sent it from, this was checked on two different IMAP accounts. Sync just don't happens instantly, that's all. Wait until sync period (5 mins in my case) and sent mail will appear in "Sent" folder on the server.

    It need not be "Inbox/Sent", but it must be IMAP special folder.

    As far as I can see, you can't change special folders via ZD yet, as you can do in Outlook, but if they exist on server, your mail will be synced.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    hello Zmike
    you mentioned "You can map accessible folders on sever (INBOX/junk, INBOX/Sent etc.) to ZD folders, and they all will sync OK,"

    How can I do that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    you need to edit your $ZIMBRA_HOME/conf/datasource.xml

    There you'll find mappings for some popular services like Gmail and Yahoo!

    You can add your own section here, something like that:

    Code:
        <service name="yourdomain.com" saveToSent="true">
            <folder remotePath="INBOX" localPath="/Inbox" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Sent" localPath="/Sent" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Trash" localPath="/Trash" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Junk" localPath="/Junk" sync="true"/>
            <folder remotePath="INBOX/Drafts" localPath="/Drafts" sync="true"/>
            <!-- Not that this last stanza does any good anyway -->
        </service>
    Save, restart ZD, check out for any sync glitches. Don't forget to save backup copy of datasource.xml before you begin hacking it.

    You can go to https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23727 and nag developers afterwards

    Obviously making a good generic stand-alone mail client out of ZD is not a priority for Zimbra developers, but this issue will bite Web Client users as well as soon as they will add an external IMAP account to their mailbox.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Thanks Zmike, but looks too complicated for me. I hope Zimbra can fix this problem soon.
    I am still looking for a better email client software.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    6

    Thumbs up

    Thanks ZMike,

    voted for it!

    After having found the solution on my own, I discovered this thread. Sometimes, it's all about using the right keywords.

    See my comment with further information at
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post244408

    Regards
    Florian

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 06:01 AM
  2. Outlook sync client
    By KevinH in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 600
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
  3. .pst migration issues
    By jimklein in forum Migration
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
  4. can't you help me
    By iwan siahaan in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 05:53 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •