Thread: Download All Attachments - Why ZIP File?

Hybrid View

Default Download All Attachments - Why ZIP File?

Hi,

When an email arrives with multiple attachments (most of mine do) and you choose the option "Download All Attachments" Zimbra saves them as a ZIP file. Why is this? Can it be turned off?

It's a pain to either have to save them all individually or to have to save the ZIP then navigate to the ZIP to extract the files that you actually wanted in the first place. It seems to be adding an unnecessary step, especially when saving to lengthy network paths.

I've had a bit of a look around the forums and I can only find quite old threads and didn't want to raise the dead...

Cheers,

Mart

I hate to reply to a thread 2 months late, but its pretty obvious why it works this way and its because browsers don't allow you to save (download) multiple files at once.

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    I hate to reply to a thread 2 months late, but its pretty obvious why it works this way and its because browsers don't allow you to save (download) multiple files at once.
    Web client and Desktop are pretty much the same deal then? Both browser based? A moot point anyway as after trialling Zimbra we've come to the conclusion it's just not up to the task.

Checks Firefox's download window... Just as I thought, multiple files downloading at once...

Don't feel so bad about replying two months late, at least you did reply

Quote Originally Posted by ClammLammy View Post
    Checks Firefox's download window... Just as I thought, multiple files downloading at once...
    Yes you can download more than one file at once, however you can't download more than one file from a single stream or link, so to do what you want you'd have to select the download location for each file, or click on multiple links to download all the files.

The zip file method just makes practical sense.

Zimbra desktop is browser based, so you have the same limitations as you do with any web interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_C View Post
    Yes you can download more than one file at once, however you can't download more than one file from a single stream or link, so to do what you want you'd have to select the download location for each file, or click on multiple links to download all the files.

The zip file method just makes practical sense.

Zimbra desktop is browser based, so you have the same limitations as you do with any web interface.
    1) Zimbra Desktop is just a local version of Zimbra pretty much. Its basically just a local web server and a browser. Its also been EOLed.
    2) Show me how Firefox downloads multiple files at once with a single click. Of course it can download multiple ones at the same time, but you have to do start the process for each file you download.

Doh, just saw brads response, but looks he he pretty much said the same thing as me.

1) Zimbra Desktop is just a local version of Zimbra pretty much. Its basically just a local web server and a browser. Its also been EOLed.
    Ah, didn't realise it was EOL.

2) Show me how Firefox downloads multiple files at once with a single click. Of course it can download multiple ones at the same time, but you have to do start the process for each file you download.

Doh, just saw brads response, but looks he he pretty much said the same thing as me.
    Cheers for your and Brad's feedback, so it's nothing you can code for as it's the browser that will not allow the multiple file download. Makes sense I suppose from a security point of view. Is a shame though